AAR:[ECR2] Have You Any Wool? 2020-05-09 @ 17:00 GMT

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Reyntrannin
AAR:[ECR2] Have You Any Wool? 2020-05-09 @ 17:00 GMT

Post by Reyntrannin » Fri May 08, 2020 4:33 am

LFG: Have You Any Wool?
Time: 2020-05-10@17:00 GMT
GM: ReynTrannin
Circle: ECR 2
Difficulty: Medium

Rumor: A farmer in a settlement near Throal has been having issues with his sheep. Every few nights, something has been breaking his fences and driving his sheep out into the fields. He's already lost a few of his animals, and if this keeps up he will not be able to continue his ranching. He is hoping some kind souls will take up the fight against the culprit and end his woes.

------------------------------

AAR:

Player Rewards:
Dale: 800 LP, 200 Sp, 3 TIP's
Reyis Poriv: 800 LP, 200 Sp, 3 TIP's
Icaus Wolf-swift: 800 LP, 200 Sp, 3 TIP's
Mazor: 800 LP, 200 Sp, 3 TIP's
Beranth‘Jax: 800 LP, 200 Sp, 3 TIP's

Alternate awards:
Half Price SKill training: Animal Bond, Animal Handling, Tracking, Stealthy Stride, Creature Lore, Farming Lore

GM Reward:
Langren Vogel: 800 LP, 200 Sp, 3 TIP's

Downtime Actions Available:
None

Further Information:
The Adepts found a nest of Flesh Beasts and undead, which they destroyed and burnt.
They found the wedding rings of two of the undead.
They also made contact with a Human Beastmaster, Evert, who is living in the area.
Last edited by Reyntrannin on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Brian L

Re: LFG:[ECR2] Have You Any Wool? 2020-05-09 @ 17:00 GMT

Post by Brian L » Fri May 08, 2020 3:38 pm

Name: Reyis Poriv
Date of Last Game Played: May 03
Circle: 2
Discipline: Shaman
Unique: Spells
Downtime: Talents and Skills that other characters can use over downtime: None yet. I have hopes.
Last edited by Brian L on Fri May 08, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nathaniel

Post by nathaniel » Fri May 08, 2020 4:25 pm

Name: Dale
Last played: 5/1/20
Circle: 1
Discipline: Illusionist
Quote/Unique: I'll turn you into a monster.
Notable Abilities: Monstrous Mantle, Folding Paper, other assorted illusions.
Downtime: n/a

Note: Secondary character

Icarus-Wolfswift

Post by Icarus-Wolfswift » Fri May 08, 2020 8:32 pm

Name: Icarus Wolf-Swift
Date of Last Game Played: N/A
Circle: Circle of your character ((1))
Discipline: Your character's Discipline(s) Air Sailor
Unique: a navigator, communicator, scout, and I can fly ships

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sat May 09, 2020 1:46 am

Name: Mazor
Last played: Yesterday, and a secondary character, so pick last.
ECR: 2
Discipline: Beastmaster 2nd Circle, Windling
Quote/Unique: The night is dark, and full of Horrors.
Notable Abilities: Claw Shape & Pet Tricks.
Downtime: None

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Sat May 09, 2020 4:51 am

Name: Darius Crawford
Last played: 2020-05-08
ECR: 1 (Circle 1, never been played)
Discipline: Archer
Quote/Unique: Bolas & Spears.
Notable Abilities: Call Missile
Downtime: None
NOTE: SECONDARY CHARACTER

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Sat May 09, 2020 12:42 pm

Name: Beranth‘Jax
Date of Last Game Played: first Roll20 game
Circle: Fresh 1
Discipline: Archer
Unique: A bow, wits and honor
Downtime: None so far
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Lursi

Re: AAR:[ECR2] Have You Any Wool? 2020-05-09 @ 17:00 GMT

Post by Lursi » Sat May 09, 2020 10:50 pm

May 8, 2020
AAR:[ECR2] Have You Any Wool?

A nice sunny day, we arrived at Juniper Hollow to follow up on rumors on vanishing cattle. Now quite what I envisioned becoming a great hero when I left my village. Still missing my brother, We bumped into a few Dwarves, or shall I say drunkards. No wonder they loose their cattle. The traces however where strange. Something snaps 4 inch oak logs like twigs. Jo after talking to Jim and Amos, some excuse for farmers, we followed tracks leading away from the recently hit farm.
Apparently a beastmaster has left tracks that were clear enough for us to follow, quite intentionally. So after a little rough greet, (which made her even more adorable) she introduced herself as Evert. We joined forces and found an abandoned farm. No sound was to be heard during the evening at this eerie place. We decided to take camp and Evert setup a good hideout. Dil our illusionist did his outmost to hide us. After spending the night with double watches, the morning brought us closer to the resolution. We approached the Farm and almost ran into 3 Cadaver men and about 5 Flesh Beasts and were really happy to Evert and her really long fingernails that tore rotten flesh to pieces. I managed to deadly wound one of these in one shot and supported my new friends in an honorable way. In the last round, the last remaining of these monsters gave me a bad hit but it was quickly overpowered.

We searched the place and found records of shipments from this place which hint to further activities that are unavenged. Also the wedding rings of the poor family living there were found and gave us a sombre feeling. Getting killed is one thing, but turned into such beasts is truly dishonoring. Even for peasant dwarfs. After burning the place we returned to Juniper Hollow and informed the village about our progress. Lets hope they have a little rest for now.

I hope I will meet Evert again.
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Icarus-Wolfswift

Icarus Journal

Post by Icarus-Wolfswift » Sat May 09, 2020 11:39 pm

"Hello Icarus Wolf-Swift Here, Novice Air Sailor& Map maker Recollecting the events of my First Adventure for the readers of the Throalic Library."

"We arrive in juniper hollows and make our way to a farm house owned by one Jim. He is a very nice man I recommend stopping by his house if you are in town. He invites us in and we go through the greeting ritual. I demonstrate my artisan of Map making ((Come find me if you need a map made shameless plug)) and he informs us about his missing sheep now I would tell you all the deletes of when the sheep went missing and the different days everything happened. But to be honest it was a man talking about sheep for like a hour, I was almost nodding off. but after investigation and the spell casters and wingling examining every toothpick they actually found that someone had tried to cover their tracks. I being the quote un quote master navigator guided our party through the woods. at one point I must of gotten some dust in my eyes you know it happens to us all. But I lost the tracks, instead we stumbled upon a Human Beast master named Evert after some exchange of kind words we decided to work together once we realized we were after the same people. Her adaptness at being a tracker came in handy and we found ourselves at a farmstead after setting up camp and resting for the night on the otherside from the farm. in the morning we decided to check out the farm. being attacked by three cadvermen and several flesh beasts with sheep heads I was the brave first defender to rush in and proceed to get beat silly like I was a loose barrel on a ship in a storm. after fighting my best and admitting being saved by my mates and that girl Evert we won. Investigation revealed the three cadvermen to be the family members of the farm. sad that we couldn't have saved them. and the solo was filled with dead sheep bodies which we burned to the ground along with everything else. Our group did find a shipment invoice that I do not have so can not copy the contents. perhaps the journals of my other members might gleam more. I however at the end of the day took the two wedding rings from the dead farmers as a way to always remember the foal deeds that the fiends who killed these farmers did. Also I do want it to be made known to all that read this. The Incident that happened here was connected to the one that occurred in Wolf Ridge. That means that these people are still at large and can be plotting anything."

"Until We Meet In The Unknown, Icarus Wolf-Swift"

ChrisDDickey

Re: AAR:[ECR2] Have You Any Wool? 2020-05-09 @ 17:00 GMT

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sun May 10, 2020 6:28 am

Journal of Mazor, 2nd circle Beastmaster.
News came to Throal that something was killing very great numbers of sheep in Juniper Hollow. The group of us that went to investigate consisted of Dale - Human Illusionist, Icarus Wolfswift, Human Air Sailor, Reys Poris - windling Shaman, Beranth‘Jax - Archer, and myself. 

Juniper Hollow is less than two days travel from Throal, so we arrived in late afternoon, and talked to Jim Clemson, a young Dwarf shepherd. He filled us in on the background of the problem. 

In such a newly tamed wilderness as this, shepherds are used to the occasional loss of sheep, but several months ago the problems became much more frequent. Every few weeks at least one herder in the area would discover one or more sheep missing without a trace. No blood or other remains. Their dogs did not bark, just in the morning, some sheep missing. Then about 5 weeks ago, the problem changed dramatically and became much worse, instead of silent disappearance, there was silent destruction, Jim's neighbor Amos awoke to find his entire paddock tor apart, with half his sheep either ripped to shreds or missing. Since then, it has happened to somebody in the area every several days. Young Him had most of his flock destroyed earlier in the week, and he showed us the remains of the devastation. 

He had bedded down after putting his 60 sheep in his paddock. He heard nothing in the night, he reported that he had slept like normal, and did not feel anything out of the ordinary that might be the effects of any drug or spell. In the morning he woke at his normal time and discovered his paddock reduced to splinters, his dog gutted and dead, and all but 18 of his flock torn apart or missing and the surviving sheep scattered all over. He says that he can't imagine any of that happening without raising one hell of a ruckus. We examined the paddock. Many of the 3 or 4 inch beams had been broken (not cut) with great strength. There was blood and wool everywhere. Upon closer examination of the beams we detected namegiver skin, almost as if some names given with supernatural strength was ripping the beams apart with such strength that their own flesh was ripped off as well. There were so many sheep parts that Jim could not calculate how many, if any, sheep were actually missing, and how many had beed torn to shreds while he slept. the skin fragments were found were definitely not from any sheep, and probably not from any beast, but was from a name-giver. 

Jim said that the very latest attack had been a 2nd attack upon his neighbor Amos's place. This attack had destroyed the newly repaired paddock, and killed every single on of his remaining sheep. We went to Amos's place, and found him passed out drunk from moonshine. We examined his farm and found some very interesting things. We found that his fence had been cut with a toothed saw, and then later on shredded by a magic spell, possibly to disguise the fact that it had been cut. We theorized that somebody had snuck in, somehow kept the herder from waking up, possibly though some sort of spell that put him to sleep, or canceled noise. Cut the fence and quietly stole many of the sheep, then returned to the paddock and killed the rest of the sheep, and cast some sort of spell upon the wood of the paddock to to cause it to splinter like that, to disguise the fact that it had been cut. Then took the stolen sheep and herded them away, somehow covering the tracks (for we found the tracks suddenly got much, much more difficult to follow once we left Amos's property. 

We tried to figure out what sorts of spells might do these various things, but could not arrive at any conclusions. Nor could we identify a Questor Power (the "Awaken the wood" power that Jaspree grants only works upon live plants, not lumber). We decided to try to follow the sheep tracks, but our tracker somehow found it almost impossible to track them, probably due to some magic. We instead followed the tracks we assume were of the person who stole the sheep, who had a small, unshod footprint. We also noticed the tracks of a larger shod footprint that were easy to follow going the same way. Eventually we lost all sign of the sheep and unshod footprint, but came upon the owner of the shod footprints, a human beastmaster by the name of Evert. She had an Eagle companion. She had tracked the stolen sheep to what she suspects is the rustlers lair, but needed our help to assault it.

We decided to watch the place, to see if they launched another raid during the night, if they did, we were going to ambush them as they passed us by going towards the hamlet, however despite a careful watch all night long, there was no movement at all. It took me hours to notice that the quite included a total and complete lack of insects, birds, and other wildlife. Anything that could move away from the lair we were watching had. The plants looked sickly as if they were poisoned. In the morning, I very quietly did a karma ritual, and absolutely no wildlife responded to my call, only my own Kue "Blu" ambled up. 

An hour or two after dawn, we had been watching the place for over 14 hours, and not seen any movement, the others finally agreed to approach it. As we did, some Horror Constructs rushed out and attacked. At first we saw 2 Cadavermen and 2 sheep headed flesh beasts, but eventually we slew 3 cadavermen and 6 fleshbeasts. All the flesh beasts had sheep heads. 

We checked out the abandoned looking farm. The grain silo was a charnel-house. the whole building was filled with with rancid sheep parts to a depth taller than I am. The flesh-beasts appeared to have stood in a cleared space near the door. A shed held an iron cage, which appeared to have until recently housed the Cadavermen. A small farmhouse contained the personal effects of a farming family, Jeremy Jacobs, his wife Evelyn, and their son Billy. We believe their remains made up the raw materials of the cadavermen. A document in the farmhouse, apparently left by accedent, states that a shipment of 18 "units" was being shipped to Grakor (that village is trouble) a week and a half ago. We burned all the flesh and returned to Juniper Hollow. 

I am convinced that there is much that we still do not know. If the document is to be trusted (and I am not convinced it is), then the creators of the flesh beasts left a week and a half ago. Yet just 3 days previous something led a raid on Amos's farm. The raid was lead ether with intelligence or subtle magic. Yes, maybe a Cadaverman or a Flesh-Beast might tear apart both sheep and lumber with the ferocity we saw the results of. But who led the raid? Where did they go? I fear this matter is not as resolved as we hope.