AAR: [5H] Vengeance for Bamor (2020-05-07 1800 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Mon May 04, 2020 2:11 pm

LFG: Vengeance for Bamor
Time: 2020-05-07 18:00 GMT
GM: Dvarim
Circle: 5
Difficulty: Hard
NPC: Aljalima Karufa, Horror Stalker

Rumor: Vlolkir and Xeviouz are haunted by what they encountered in Kaer Bamor. The Stalker Aljalima Karufa has encouraged them to end this reign of despair. If they prove up to the task, she will train them. Who will go with them to face what lurks in this broken, sad, and terrible place?

Note: This adventure runs at 2pm EDT on Thursday, May 7th.
Last edited by bronzemountain on Fri May 08, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aegharan

Re: LFG: [5H] Vengeance for Bamor (2020-05-07 1800 GMT)

Post by Aegharan » Mon May 04, 2020 2:33 pm

Name: Karl Tomsson
Date of Last Game Played: 2020-05-01
ECR: 6
Discipline: Archer (6) & Beastmaster (3)
Quote/Unique: I have a tool for every job. It's called Mercy.
Notable Abilities: Shooting stuff and taming stuff, sometimes in that Order.
Downtime:
Animal Training (talent rank 1 step 10)
Forge Weapon (rank 4 Step 11)
Research (Rank 2 Step 9, or Step 12 with Library Access)

Montaugh

Post by Montaugh » Mon May 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Name: William Carver
Date Last Played May 1st, 2020
ECR: 5 (30,975 LP)
Race: Human
Discipline: Scout 5, Thief 3
Quote/Unique: I'll get you there and back again.
Notable Abilities:
Talented: Locks/Traps, Stealth/Scouting, Ranged/Melee, map making.
Items: Pure Water Pot (cast the Purify Water spell, p. 190, with a Spellcasting and Effect Step of 8/2D6 on any liquid placed in them).
Potions:Kelia's Antidote (1), Booster Potion (1), Kelix's Poultice (1), Halt Illness Potion (1), Healing Potion (1), Last Chance Salve (2)
Mounted: Huttawa named Charlie
Downtime: Forge Weapon (2) Step 8, Research 3(10) (13 with library access) Item History 5 (12).

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Mon May 04, 2020 3:38 pm

Name: Zil
ECR: 5
Discipline: Elementalist 5th circle, Follower of Garlen / Windling
Quote/Unique: Travel in style with a party Elementalist! Heat Food! Plant Feast! Purify Water! Shelter! Air Mattress! All the comforts of home upon the road.
Notable Abilities: Physician, Questor of Garlen.
Downtime: Research rank 3, step 10 (step 13 if pay 20 sp for library access).
Item History Rank 3 (step 14 with karma).

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Mon May 04, 2020 5:11 pm

Name: Dubhan Goronich
Date of Last Game Played: 2020-05-01
Circle: 6 (ECR 6, 43,670 legend)
Discipline: Wizard
Unique: Spells (Buffs, Astral Sensing, Debuffs, etc.), Physician
Downtime: Research Step 22 (Step 25 with Library access)
Alchemy Step 9 (Booster Potions, Small Light Crystals)

Waijhou

Post by Waijhou » Mon May 04, 2020 5:58 pm

Waijhou wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:49 pm
Name: Xeviouz
Date Last Played:4/30/2020
Discipline: Warrior
Quote/Unique: Lets do this!
Notable Abilities: Sword & Board
Downtime: -----

Shokunin

Post by Shokunin » Mon May 04, 2020 10:28 pm

Name: Vlolkir
Date of Last Game Played: 27Apr2020
Discipline: Skyraider
Quote/Unique: Was one of those who breached Bamor
Notable Abilities: Smashing AND slicing!
Downtime: NA

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Fri May 08, 2020 12:39 am

AAR: Vengeance for Bamor
GM: Dvarim
Rating: 5 Hard

Player Rewards:
Xeviouz: 5 TIPs, 6,000lp, 713sp
Vlolkir: 5 TIPs, 6,000lp, 713sp, Thread Item: Wyvern Skull Helm
William: 5 TIPs, 6,000lp, 713sp
Dubhan: 5 TIPs, 6,000lp, 713sp, Thread Item: Chainmail
Zil: 5 TIPs, 6,000lp, 713sp

Journal Awards: 300lp, 178.3sp

GM Reward: (Dvarim) 3 TIPs, 7,500LP, 650SP

Downtime Actions Available:
Dubhan Goronich Research (Step 22 + Library Access if needed)
William: Forge Weapon (2) Step 8, Research 3(9) (12 with library access) Item History 5 (12)
Zil: Research 10/13 (with library), Item HIstory 14

Summary:
The Adepts faced the abandoned, betrayed children of Kaer Bamor en route to face the monster they had seen before - the Despairthought. The brought the Horror to the very edge of death, when it was killed by what appeared to be its master. The Named Horror: Ag'xgai Nlyath'Lyvxenzair

Waijhou

Re: AAR: [5H] Vengeance for Bamor (2020-05-07 1800 GMT)

Post by Waijhou » Fri May 08, 2020 2:14 am

May 7, 2020
LFG: [5H] Vengeance for Bamor (2020-05-07 1800 GMT)
From the Journal of Xeviouz, Human Warrior

Rumor: Vlolkir and Xeviouz are haunted by what they encountered in Kaer Bamor. The Stalker Aljalima Karufa has encouraged them to end this reign of despair. If they prove up to the task, she will train them. Who will go with them to face what lurks in this broken, sad, and terrible place?

Vlolkir, Duhban, Zil, William Carver and myself are venturing back to Kaer Bamor to right the wrongs of the horror infested Kaer. I begin by purchasing a Death Cheat Charm from the Grand Bizarre (-432sp). Buy 2 flasks of oil as well. We make our way to Kaer Behmor uneventfully. We are able to do all the tricks to open the Kaer again, swim through the underwater tunnel and get to the front door.
As we enter the main town square of the Kaer, we again are meet by the dead bodies. Many dead bodies, some holding hands. No signs of fighting. As Dubhan is looking around, he informs us the astral space here is corrupted. We avoid the first 3 passage ways where the living quarters, farming areas and city buildings are located. We take the 4th passage heading down to wear the horror was. On the wall is painted in blood “WELCOME”.
We head down the stairs, William Carver out front to check for traps. He is successful in finding and disabling 3 different traps. I quaff a Kelia’s Antidote to fend off any poisons we encounter. Everything is dark, and quiet.As we get to the bottom of the stairs, we can hear a childlike voice humming a child's rhyme. We are walking north along a stone hallway. Dubhan says there are 4 - 5 presances up ahead. Zil mentions the voice that is humming sounds Dwarven. THen Volkir sees something and makes a great leap at what ever it was.
Battle ensues. A large black cat sneaks out of the shadows and attacks. There are 2 large black cats, a large wolf that howls and seems to drain our power, a lizard that likes to spit at us and blind us. They are all being controlled by a dwarf named ELoco Dar. He is tainted and attacking us. It is a savage battle but we are able to prevail. Using my Horror Lore skill, I am able to determine these were all animated dead by a horror, and flesh shaped. The Dwarf must have been under the influence of a horror for an extended time.
We take a couple hours to eat and rest and recover. We begin searching the surrounding rooms and find what must have been Eloco Dars room. There is a baby blanket there with the name Eloco embroidered on it. A few random nick nacks. We burn it all.
We continue on looking, for the horror. We follow this hallway to a large open area. Possibly a market square. Volkir says he can see sources of heat up ahead. Dubhan says yes, there are humanoids ahead. Turns out to be a disfigured trollish female and several tainted elvs. Battle is joined as they start shooting arrows at us.
A corrupted Elf called Usiothro shoot an arrow that was jet black and streaming sparks, another corrupted Elf called Aoefri shoots a black arrow as well. 2 other corrupted Elfs Maeger and Mairi engage us in close combat. The disfigured troll female is casting spells. My trusted companion Vlolkir rush's up and smashes her with his mace and then with his other mace, ending her suffering. We are able to dispatch all the corrupted Elves. They were all real, not undead constructs. THe trollish female just dissolves. Truely a construct. As the last elf dies, he says “they are waiting for you in the next chamber”.
We decide to retreat to the outside and rest and recover overnight. THen head back inside in the morning.
We continue on our path of hunting the horror. We are walking down a hallway, come to an entertainment area. Theater and such things. Next hallway has statues in it. Statues of the founders of the Kaer, of local heros, etc… Follow more hallways.
We come to a turn in the corridor, Dubahn says there is something up ahead. We stop so Dubahn can cast a couple spells before we join combat. As we are waiting in the hall 2 shadowy cadavers and 2 walking statue women come towards us. Battle is joined and at his first opportunity, Vlolkir jumps greatly into the air, clearing the statue's constructs and lands by a giant worm horror. A Despairthought. He then proceeds to smash its face in with his 2 troll maces almost killing it. Zil shoot it with lightning and also tags a second beast. The Despairthought tries to slink away at the end of the fight only to have a giant eyeball appear and say how disappointed it is . THe Despairthought withers and dies under the scrutiny of the giant eyeball. It says it will be watching us.
Dubahn inspects the magic circle after all the fighting is done. Through an hour or so of study Dubahn discovered that the actual Name of the Horror was imbued into it. "Ag'xgai Nlyath'Lyvxenzair “.

We return to Throal and speak to Aljalima about what happened. She is pleased with our results.
Last edited by Waijhou on Fri May 08, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ottdmk

Re: AAR: [5H] Vengeance for Bamor (2020-05-07 1800 GMT)

Post by ottdmk » Fri May 08, 2020 2:49 am

From the Journal of Dubhan Goronich:

I really, really, really need to learn to do proper research *before* going into the field. And I need to insure proper communication once I'm *in* the field.

This time around I agreed to help Xevious, Vlolkir, William and Zil with some unfinished business. They had encountered terrors in the ruins of Kaer Bamor but had been forced to retreat instead of finishing everything off.

So, first of all, I should've learned all I could about that aborted mission. Alas, I did not. So, we arrived at the ruins in short order and, of course, quickly found trouble. The first was a corrupted old dwarf (albeit a strangely childlike one) with numerous troublesome pets. We fought hard and then healed up, with major thanks to Zil's gifts from Garlen.

Moving on, we encountered a troll-like Horror Construct, leading several Elves. As usual, I was working my spells to enhance my colleagues when I was struck by a particularly forceful arrow. Realizing I could not push myself without knocking myself unconscious, it mostly ended my participation in the fight. I was able to finish casting Dodge Blow however.

After that fight came to a merciful end, we rested and enjoyed the benefits of everything Zil's talents could provide: heated food, shelter, healing in the morning. We then proceeded back into the Kaer for what proved to be the final battle.

My astral senses alerted me to the nearness of our quarry, and I informed the others. I was able to cast Dodge Blow once more before the fight began in earnest. To my surprise, before I had the chance to cast Combat Fury, Vlolkir stormed past all the opposition to confront the Horror directly. From later remarks he came very close to killing it outright.

Unfortunately, he did not kill the Horror outright, something he might possibly have done had he been slightly more patient. Or filled us in on his plan. Or, or, or... I don't know. As it was, the Horror retaliated with a crushing wail of despair that put almost all of us on our knees, and it was almost impossible to get up again.

The Horror began to retreat, when a mystic circle nearby opened and another Horror made its presence known. This fiend was not happy that we had come so close to killing the other, more minor Horror, and expressed its disappointment by ending what little was left of the lesser's life. I was, quite frankly, terrified. I have no idea why it left us alone. I suspect it wasn't able to extend its abilities through the Circle enough to affect us... just its minion.

The Circle proved to be a revelation. Through an hour or so of study I discovered that the actual Name of the Horror was imbued into it. Ag'xgai Nlyath'Lyvxenzair . Who knows, perhaps I can discover more about the fiend now that I know its name. Of course, the Circle will have to be destroyed, crazy bit of extremely powerful Horror magic that it is. To do it right will take weeks, however. Perhaps longer.

Underneath the Circle room we found a vault, and my astral sight informed me that two items were potent Thread Items. I claimed the chain mail for myself. Perhaps after taking such a beating I'm feeling a bit insecure. Vlolkir claimed the helm; it was obviously meant for a Troll (even had proper horn fittings.) I suppose he'll want me to Research it for him. After his recklessness, I'm not really sure I want to. I suppose I will... but he's going to have to ask me very, very nicely. I could use a coffee errand boy while I'm toiling in the library...