How do Non-Adepts Journey on the Wheel? (Elvish Spiritual Belief)

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Crispy3ed
How do Non-Adepts Journey on the Wheel? (Elvish Spiritual Belief)

Post by Crispy3ed » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:41 pm

As only one in 20 (or so) can be trained as an Adept how do non-adepts journey the Wheel? Are they all Dae'mistishsa?

Bonhumm

Re: How do Non-Adepts Journey on the Wheel? (Elvish Spiritual Belief)

Post by Bonhumm » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:14 pm

Reading the whole section about the Wheel, the feeling I get from it is that this is much more a question of life philosophy during each 'phase' on the wheel than a question of Discipline(s).

So, Adept or not, any elf around the age of 60 and 120 would follow the Path of Scholar, would have a 'Scholar' mentality and would favor shades of red and yellow etc.

The main difference between Sa'mistishsa and Dea'mistishsa is indeed the 'range' of Discipline(s) that are 'acceptable' for each path, but this is not the only difference as they also affect things like marriage (one mate for life while the other will change partner at the same time they would change path).

I guess one could be considered more 'conservative' than the other; no matter if one is an Adept or not so I don't believe non Adepts would necessarily be of one 'sect' instead of the other; this would, just like in real life, be more a question of how which 'sect' the parents of the character followed.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:49 pm

The fluff really focuses on adepts, which makes sense in terms of Game, but doesn’t address the majority of the elves, which is unfortunate.

avensis

Post by avensis » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:08 pm

Hi, thanks for the explanation I didn't know all that.

Last edited by avensis on Wed May 20, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:38 am

What bothered me far more was that almost all the elves named follow other disciplines than needed for the Journey on the Wheel.
So the Bloodwood's / Wyrmwood's palace, the (previous) centre of the elvish culture, were all disbelievers? :|
I would have liked a few sentences how it came to the disciplines Alachia, Aithne and other importend named elves follow and how this fits into the elvish spiritual belief.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:36 am

Belenus wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:38 am
What bothered me far more was that almost all the elves named follow other disciplines than needed for the Journey on the Wheel.
So the Bloodwood's / Wyrmwood's palace, the (previous) centre of the elvish culture, were all disbelievers? :|
I would have liked a few sentences how it came to the disciplines Alachia, Aithne and other importend named elves follow and how this fits into the elvish spiritual belief.
The Denizens states that there is 2 'sects' of followers:

The 'strict' followers (Sa’mistishsa) allow only 1 specific Discipline during each of the Paths of the Wheel. They do still have 'access' to whatever other Discipline(s) they were before but its 'frowned upon' to use talents from previous Discipline until you reach the path of Lords.

The 'free' followers (Dae’mistishsa) were described has having the choice between 3 Disciplines during each of the Paths of the Wheel.

The Elven Nations changed that a bit by specifying that there are 100's (perhaps 1000's) of different 'versions' of the Dae’mistishsa, each with small differences between themselves and that ANY Discipline can be taken during any Path of the Wheel 'as long as it feel compatible to the values of that path for the character'.

So I guess this could be used to explain stuff like this.

Lets not forget too that even tho a character/NPC has/will be an Adept at some points, they might not have been an Adept at EVERY Path nor have been very 'competent' at each of those Discipline. The Eleven Nation book gives some examples of characters like that.

As for Alachia or other high ranking NPC; they are most probably at the Path of Lords so the Discipline(s) 'assigned' to them might just be some of those they really have and/or just the one they are the best at.

crocoyes9

Post by crocoyes9 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:49 am

Don't have first edition available but in third there is no hard rule. Traditionalists switch disciplines with each step along the path. All previous disciplines are ignored until one reaches the path of Lords, at which point the are free to use the talents from them. Or something like that. It was more of an rp thing.

etherial

Post by etherial » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:43 am

Honestly, the way the wheel is written fits much better for Non-Adepts than for Adepts.

DunKalar

Post by DunKalar » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:26 pm

They Wheel of Life demands that you follow a certain view of Life. E.g. the Path of Warrior demands that you try to understand how your instincts shape your decisions. So basically, everything you do to experience these impressions is adequate to follow the path. Great Elves like Aithne have a very special view on the world due to their longevity. But it vanishes within the complex Maelstrom that are Elven politics, why their "beloved" queen does not follow the Sa’mistishsa.

Based on the descriptions of the world, you should find more conservative followers e.g. in Sereatha. I think the Elves in Blood Wood have "other problems" right now than to follow the path :D.