Combat Fury

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
ottdmk
Combat Fury

Post by ottdmk » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:41 pm

Hey folks, I'm playing a Wizard and looking at what spells I want. The 3rd Circle Combat Fury spell states:
EDPG pg 349 wrote:The target may only make close combat attacks during the spell’s duration.
I'm wondering, what exactly does that mean? Can the character move? Are talents like Fireblood off the table? Just how big a restriction are we talking here?

Bonhumm

Re: Combat Fury

Post by Bonhumm » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:13 pm

3rd edition Combat Fury is written the same way, however Classic edition says:

'While under the effect of this spell, the character can only make close combat attacks; no ranged or spell combat attacks are allowed.'

So, my guess is that it just mean that the only kind of ATTACK that you can do while under the spell are Close Combat (i.e. Melee or Unarmed) with no other limitations whatsoever.

Aegharan

Re: Combat Fury

Post by Aegharan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:00 pm

I'd like to think that such a change in wording has some reasoning behind it. I would interpret this as "has to make a close combat attack each round", so that other stuff is allowed that doesn't take a standard action (taunt, battleshout, etc), however fleeing the battlefield or other standard actions (like fireblood) like are not possible.

However the argument stands that Fireblood allows for more close combat attacks in subsequent rounds, so that would be something the table has to decide.