ED4 Mystic Path Journeyman Knack

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Sushy
ED4 Mystic Path Journeyman Knack

Post by Sushy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Hi!

Could find any Errata and can't explain myself the Journeyman Talent Knacks:

Applied Versatility [Karma]

Practiced Versatility [Karma]

Skilled Versatility [Karma]

All Knacks do exactly the same but the further down the Knack in the Book it's a higher Rank to learn and more Strain to use.

What do I oversee? Maybe this thread should be in the ProductDiscussion?

Bonhumm

Re: ED4 Mystic Path Journeyman Knack

Post by Bonhumm » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:22 pm

My understanding is that from the 'The adept can spend a Karma point on a talent learned through Versatility' it means that each of those knacks allows you to chose ONE talent (learned through Versatility) where you can use Karma on.

So, for example, an Adept that has Rank 10 in Versatility could use karma on:

- ONE talent which is (at least) Rank 1.
- ONE talent which is (at least) Rank 3.
- ONE talent which is (at least) Rank 5.

Thus, you decide which of your Versatility talent can use karma and (I would assume) this remains permanent (i.e. you cannot change your mind later).

Panda

Post by Panda » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:35 pm

Greetings,

That understanding is incorrect. You are not required to choose the talent the knacks apply to. If this was the case, it would spell out how you need to choose that talent when the knack is learned. However, each knack can only be used once per round. If you want to spend Karma on talents learned through Versatility more than once a round, you need to learn the other knacks.

The knacks do exactly what they say: You can spend Karma on a talent learned through Versatility once per round. If you have all three, you can only use one at a time.

Sushy

Post by Sushy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:57 pm

Sorry, English is not my nativ tongue so I don't get it:

"This knack can only be used once per round and cannot be used with other knacks
that allow Karma to be spent on talents learned through Versatility."

But does this not rule that you can only use on knack in a round?
If I can only use on knack why are there three same effect but different Costs?

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Panda wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:35 pm
The knacks do exactly what they say: You can spend Karma on a talent learned through Versatility once per round. If you have all three, you can only use one at a time.
Then I fail to understand why there is 3 knacks that does the exact same thing while not being able to 'stack'.

Panda

Post by Panda » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:55 pm

You can use more than one knack, though using a knack counts as using the talent. So you can use a Maneuver knack and an Acrobatic Defense knack in the same round, but cannot use Maneuver and a Maneuver knack. Unless a knack specifically states otherwise, which applies to all Karma knacks (p. 213):

"Karma knacks allow the adept to spend Karma in different ways and can be used in addition to the Karma abilities adepts learn through their Discipline(s), unless otherwise specified in the description. Using these knacks is a Free action and there is no limit to the number of times they can be used, paying all costs, unless otherwise specified. However, they can still only be used once per test. These knacks are not considered to be using the associated talent for limitations on knack or talent usage."

You may only have use for one of the three knacks, while some characters may find they want to spend more than one Karma per round on talents they learn through Versatility. For example, if you learn Steel Thought and Resist Taunt through Versatility, you may want to be able to spend Karma on them more than once per round. If you have all three knacks, you can spend a total of three Karma on talents learned through Versatility in one round. The reason the Strain cost increases with each knack is it further reduces an important limitation on Versatility with each successive knack, thus costs increase to make that limitation still relevant, just in a different way.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:58 pm

the short version: each talent lets you spend karma on a single talent you learned through versatility once per round.

if you have one of those knacks, you can do that once per round. if you have two knacks, twice per round. if you have all three knacks, three times per round.

the more often you want to be able to use karma (up to 3 times per round) the more knacks you need.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:54 am

So in short: You need the other two talents if you want to use Karma on the same taleent more than once a round, like for example for Avoid Blow.
But you can use the same knack for all talents in the same round.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:10 am

no. each talent knack works once per round. if you have two talents (from versatility) in a round that you would like to spend karma on, you need 2 knacks.