Old ed spells not included?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
etherial
Re: Old ed spells not included?

Post by etherial » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:13 pm

Panda wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:09 am
Ricochet Attack was another combat spell that was pretty powerful and very similar to Lightning Bolt. Figuring out how to make it distinctive and preserve the extra thread mechanic means it didn't make the cut. As written, it's not a good fit for Elementalist and makes more sense as a Wizard spell; there's nothing elemental about it, but manipulating energy.
Also games with explicit horror and suspense themes really should not have a TPK spell.

Nicai

Post by Nicai » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:01 am

What happened to Throne of Air? My players used to find such surprising ways to use that spell that it has become a must for any elementalist now

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:39 am

I don't think I've ever seen much use for that spell, that's probably because I think about 100% of the Elementalists I ever played with were windlings.

What original use of it did yours do with the spell?

Throne of air is not among the 4th edition spells indeed but, as stated before, you could ask your GM to just copy it verbatim from older edition and/or ask him to come up with effects for Extra Successes and Extra Threads.

Nicai

Post by Nicai » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:04 am

Imagine an obsidiman elementalist, huge and slow. Then he chants some magic words sits down in mid-air and suddenly there's a really fast boulder smiling and doing bombing runs on their enemies. I think he was throwing oil flasks or some sort of medieval molotov cocktail.

I'm the GM, so I guess I can adapt it to 4ed. I was just wondering if there was a good reason not to have it there. I've only run a couple of games in 4ed (I used 2nd many years ago) so I'm not sure what can unbalance the game yet

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:10 am

based on the previous reasons given by Panda: Pretty sure it was cut because there are other spells that let you fly

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:01 pm

Look at flying carpet from the illusionist, doing basically that, but demanding a somewhat active control, if you also want to give it to your Elementalist.

Warning: Makes a lot of stuff trivial :>

Also what ragbasti wrote. If one discipline can do everything...

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:52 pm

Am I the only person who used Throne of Air for the dogde abilty?
It was an extremely powerful spell.
And I guess it was cut because of exactly this reason.
Each other casters also lost their spells to dogde with spellcasting. :cry:

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:27 pm

Belenus wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:52 pm
Am I the only person who used Throne of Air for the dogde abilty?
It was an extremely powerful spell.
And I guess it was cut because of exactly this reason.
Each other casters also lost their spells to dogde with spellcasting. :cry:
No, I can assure you this spell has frustrated more than one sword master trying to hit our elementarist. The only thing wrong with it was the effect step. IMHO with just Willforce+2 it would have been ok! It needs two threads!

Icy surface is still there... this has 0 threads and is very effective in splitting the charge of say a large outnumbering group of land bound enemies. It allows a group to diminish the first wave that makes it through and mop up the rest without being swarmed.

Also a good barrier inside a corridor.

My players never really appreciated the tactical opportunities it offers...
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:25 am

In our Westmarches group is an Windling Elementalist who uses Icy Surface to great effect. At least until he rolled a BAD effect test and got swarmed by several baby genhis :>