AAR: [1st] Hunting Party (2020-01-18@21:00 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Aegharan
AAR: [1st] Hunting Party (2020-01-18@21:00 GMT)

Post by Aegharan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:47 am

LFG: Hunting Party
Time: 2020-01-18 @ 21:00 GMT
GM: Aegharan
Circle: 1
Difficulty: TBD

Rumor: A wealthy merchant heard about an excursion meeting wildlife. They are willing to pay well for freshly hunted meat. What exactly has to be hunted will be made clear prior to the excursion.

Please post your character as follows:

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b] 
[b]Circle:[/b] 
[b]Discipline:[/b]
[b]Quote/Unique:[/b] 
[b]Notable Abilities:[/b]
[b]Downtime:[/b]

Note: This game is at 4 PM EST. Game is moved back one hour to 9pm GMT!
Note: This game will happen on our own Roll20-Table, see the links in the "Resource" section for the links to join. Please set up your character prior to the adventure.
Last edited by Aegharan on Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Waijhou

Re: AAR: [1st] Hunting Party (2020-01-18@20:00 GMT)

Post by Waijhou » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:49 pm

Name: Xeviouz
Discipline: Warrior
Quote/Unique: Finally a chance to get out of the Kaer.
Notable Abilities: Sword and Board
Downtime: -

ChrisDDickey

AAR: [1st] Hunting Party (2020-01-18@20:00 GMT)

Post by ChrisDDickey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:22 pm

Name: Zil
Race: Windling
Discipline: Elementalist
Quote/Unique: Travel in style with a party Elementalist! Heat Food! Shelter! Purify Water! Air Mattress (pending). Travel in the very lap of safety and comfort!
Notable Abilities: Physician.
Downtime: Research rank 3, step 10 (step 13 if pay 20sp for library access).

Alari

Re: AAR: [1st] Hunting Party (2020-01-18@20:00 GMT)

Post by Alari » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:41 pm

Name: A'lari
Discipline: Swordmaster
Quote/Unique: There is nothing to fear as long as I am here!
Notable Abilities: Navigation and combat abilities
Downtime: none

nathaniel

Re: LFG: [1st] Hunting Party (2020-01-18@21:00 GMT)

Post by nathaniel » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 pm

Name: Jael
Discipline: Beastmaster
Notable Abilities:Pets and Grapples
Downtime: none

Draevinn

Re: LFG: [1st] Hunting Party (2020-01-18@21:00 GMT)

Post by Draevinn » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:03 am

Name: Draevinn
Discipline: Troubadour
Quote/Unique: "But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
Notable Abilities: Taunting, Distracting, Shouting, Keeping your name in Headlines
Downtime: None

Aegharan

Re: AAR: [1st] Hunting Party (2020-01-18@21:00 GMT)

Post by Aegharan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:35 am

Hunting Party
Time: 2020-01-18@21:00 GMT
GM: Aeggy
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Jael: 3Tips, 200 LP, 150 sp
A'lari: 3 TIP, 200 LP, 150 Silver
Xeviouz : 3 TIP, 200 Legend, 150 silver
Zil: 3 TIP, 200 Legend, 150 silver.

GM Reward:
Karl Tomsson: 100 Legend, 75 sp, 1 TIP

Downtime Actions Available:
None

Further Information:
Explored some wildlife in the Plains south/east of Throal, found a watering hole, travelled through hexes 42.10, 41.10, 41.11

Waijhou

Post by Waijhou » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:50 am

Hunting Party 1.18.20
FROM THE JOURNAL OF XEVIOUZ

Start off in Throal, hired by a wealthy merchant to go find some wild meat. He wants to host a fancy dinner party with a meat that is not found inside of Throal. Earnest the dwarf will accompany us, he is a tracker, an expert on local wildlife. He will let us know when the quantity and quality is enough. I am introduced to the party members, Jael - Beatmaster and his friend Head butt the goat. Alari the T’Skrang Swordmaster. Zil the windling Elementalist, with his riding Goat named Nanny. Jael tells me about a thing called RAIN. He says it is water falling from the sky. I think he is joking but he assures me that he is not. Advises me to get a cloak before we leave. I think, better safe than sorry, so I purchase a cloak at the bizarre.
We are going to head towards to the plains and look for some creatures to hunt.

We start off in the morning, heading to grid 42.10 on our map.There are other groups leaving the Kaer at the same time as us, they are mapping and exploring.
We see several small animals as we are walking. We set out several snares to see if we can trap some rabbits. Afterwards we look for a spot to camp for the night. We pick a spot by a big tree. It is a bit cold out here in the dark so we make a fire. We set a rotating watch over night.
Lots of noises from wild animals overnight. I keep my back to the fire so not to ruin my limited night vision.
Next morning, karma rituals, followed by a meal. Then off to hunting. Earnest tells us we should try to find a lion. Jael seems to know alot about wild animals and suggests how we should go about finding a lion.
We decided to check the rabbit traps, using any rabbits that we caught as bait to try to bring in a lion. A trap did trigger and trap a rabbit, then something ate the rabbit. Something like a mole, a mound of dirt is nearby. Corrupted moles maybe ? Alari notices some slight raises in the dirt, says we can track the creatures that way. We head off following Alari’s lead.
Alari gives a shout that something is approaching us. We see a cross between a snake and a mole. There are 5, no 6 of them. THey are Earth Qwills. Evil little creatures.
During the fight I take a savage wound, along with headbutt the goat. After the battle we take a short rest and recover. We gather up the dead Earth Qwills and will use them for traps for bigger game.
We find a watering hole with the help of Zil flying up in the air, have lunch, and rest. While resting we notice a large Eagle flying back and forth between what we think is its nest. Jael convinces us that we should go check out the nest. We decided not to mess with the Eagles, head for the watering hole.
Scout out the watering hole, see plenty of tracks and decide to sleep for the night at our lunch spot. During the night we are attacked by a group of angry monkeys. THey prove to be formidable opponents. Before we can dispatch them all some run off with portions of our food. We end up resting for a full day to recover from the fight with the monkeys.
2 days later we sneak down to the watering hole before dawn and lay in wait for a lion. The lion shows up to drink as we are hiding in the bushes. We surprise the beast and quickly take it down. We gather all our belongings and head back to Throal.
3 TIP, 200 Legend, 150 silver

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:19 am

From the journal of Zil, windling elementalist of the first circle.

Hello! I am so excited to start this new journal! Last week I went out of Throal for the first time! I have always listened to the ancient stories most assiduously, and have prepared for my new life of adventuring very carefully. I have learned some very useful adventuring spells, and I bought a riding goat and learned to ride it. 

I was hired to accompany Ernest, a guy who has studied to become a wildlife expert, but whom, like us, has never been outside. Also on our trek was Jael, the beastmaster, Alari the swordmaster, and Xeviouz the warrior. Alari and Jael had been outside before. 
The client wanted new and unusual game for a feast he was giving. He was particularly keen on being able to serve lion, but other than that, he just wanted wild game from species that had not been inside the Kaer.

We journey a few days travel away from the gates, and are already in virgin territory that no name-giver has seen in hundreds of years. 
Jael laid some snares for wild rabbits, under the theory that wild rabbit might taste different from the tame rabbits to be found in Throal. Also, we hoped the rabbit meat would serve as good bait for a lion. In the morning we check the snares, and find that one had indeed trapped a rabbit, but the rabbit had been eaten by some burrowing scavenger. We follow some sort of track or sign and are attacked by a half dozen or so snake-like moles that leap viciously at us from an underground ambush. Somebody refers to them as Earth Q’wril . 

I get busy casting Air Armor on people, and at first things look like they are going well. One or two of the Q’wril are easily dispatched. I decide to switch to casting Earth Darts upon the creatures, under the theory that taking them down quickly is best. I miss my casting, and the Q’wriles do not. Both Xeviouz and Hedbut (Jael's pet riding goat - which he does not normally even ride) took very nasty, nasty wounds. Apparently creatures that can quickly burrow through solid earth have little difficulty burrowing though a persons limbs. Despite our troubles, we managed to kill the Q'wriles, except for the two whom escaped. My Heat Food spell was very popular in getting everybody healed, and I used my physicians kit on Xeviouz's wounds.

We spotted an eagles nest, but after we examined it we determined that the two eagles had young, and decided not to disturb them. 

That night our camp was raided by 4 monkeys, who attempted to steal some of our food. In the legends, monkeys are always cuddly, comical creatures. These were not like that. They were viscous. Xeviouz and the goat Hedbut both took a 2nd wound, and Hedbut was unconscious, and Alari took a wound as well before we drove the two survivors off. I added some monkey teeth to my beading kit to make into beads. We skinned and boned the monkeys and added them to the game bag. 

We took an entire day off to rest and heal, but Xeviouz still had one wound when we got up hour before dawn to sneak back to the watering hole and set an ambush. We saw several animals, but were fortunate to have a solo male lion approach our ambush zone and start drinking. We ganged up on it and attacked it. I took a nasty wound when it attempted to jump the river I was hovering above, and it failed to manage to jump past me, so settled for attacking me instead. 

We got the meat back to Throal in time for the feast. I heard a rumor later that while the merchants guests were impressed with the idea of eating lion, the actual meat was so gamey as to be almost inedible, though apparently the Earth Q'wirl and Monkey was considered adequate. 

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:51 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Xevious and Zil for their contributions. +10 Legend Points, +37.5 Silver.