it's probably nothing, but...

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Sharkforce
it's probably nothing, but...

Post by Sharkforce » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:46 am

So, I've been assuming that spell matrix, as with other talents, cannot be taken from multiple disciplines because i'm pretty sure there's a rule that says you can only learn a talent once unless otherwise specified, and the only thing i recall being specified was for the free matrices (well, actually i'd say that's more implied by the fact that you have them and are additionally offered spell matrices as talent options rather than specified, but you get the point). but then i noticed this in the middle of the spells chapter:

Player's Guide, 260, 'Spell Matrices and Multi Discipline Magicians':
"A magician may learn additional spell matrix talents by using talent option slots,
as usual. As with spell matrices from their first Discipline, each spell matrix is its own
talent that must be increased separately."

and all of a sudden, it occurred to me that this could be interpreted to mean that if you are, say, a nethermancer/wizard, you can buy spell matrix as a talent option from *each* discipline, since the quote above makes reference to increasing your spell matrices from your first discipline as well as your second (and it wouldn't be referring to the free ones, since the paragraph above makes it clear you only get free ones from your first magician discipline)

so... is this something i've missed noticing somehow and it actually is possible to gain more matrices by having more spellcasting disciplines? it seems so unlikely, but this sentence seems to imply it. it was *kind of* possible in previous editions that i'm aware of (it required the talent being at a different circle or something like that?), but it would seem wildly out of character for 4th edition, where an effort has been made to simplify things, to have this one paragraph hidden in the middle of the spells magic chapter being the only clear reference to the rule...

Moonwolf

Re: it's probably nothing, but...

Post by Moonwolf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:38 am

I believe you can, you don't get it improve the free matrices though. You can also versatility in more matrices if you're playing a human, although they're more legend expensive than matrix items.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:37 pm

When multi-disciplining, you CANNOT duplicate the Free Matrices. In other words, a Wizard/Nethermancer would still only have 2 Free Matrices.

However, the Optional Matrices can 'duplicate'. In other words, A novice Wizard/Nethermancer CAN take the Optional Matrices from both Discipline; thus, a Novice/Novice Wizard/Nethermancer could have up to 4 total matrices (2 Free, 2 optional).

The Free matrices can handle spells of any Discipline and (I'm pretty sure) so are the optional matrices. As far as I know, the same apply to Matrix Items.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:24 pm

Bonhumm is completely correct.
Was discussed in several places, even in this forum before :D