Windlings, shields and weight

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
sigfriedmcwild
Windlings, shields and weight

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:05 am

So the rules on page 404 (continuing the section started on 403) say that armor and clothing weight only 20% of the normal weight for windlings.
My question is does this also apply to shields? Or do shields only come in "standard" size like weapons do? It feels a bit weird for a windling to be using a human sized shield (and get the same defence bonus as a human)

Thanks

(and yes, I assume that if windlings use smaller shields, trolls and obsidimen need to buy oversized ones)

Lamoron

Re: Windlings, shields and weight

Post by Lamoron » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:53 am

Fairly sure this is another of the cases where the writers assume you would use common sense :D

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:15 am

I'd say yes of course. I suspect the fact that it is not specified is due to the fact that this text (about clothes and armor weighting 20% of normal) is a cut-and-paste from previous editions where shields were giving additional ARMOR rating instead of DEFENSE rating.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:13 pm

Shields sized for a windling follow the same rules as clothing and armor.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:56 am

Thanks, that was my assumption but since things are called out specifically for the cost/weight modifiers I wanted to check