Nightflyer's Cloak, what can I turn into?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Lamoron
Nightflyer's Cloak, what can I turn into?

Post by Lamoron » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:22 pm

This spell allows the magician to assume the form of any creature able to be affected by the Command Nightflyer talent (p. 135).

Alright, then we look at the talent. The adept can converse with and command nocturnal, flying creatures, such as owls, bats, and Krilworms.

Okay then, so I can turn into any nocturnal and flying creatures, but the creature descriptions are super vague on the definition of this. The Krilworm is described as nocturnal, but the Krillra isn't, despite being the female version of the Krilworm (probably good since it's a right monster). Is there some list, or a way of defining what I can turn into?

Panda

Re: Nightflyer's Cloak, what can I turn into?

Post by Panda » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Greetings,

There isn't a list, but the way of defining it is as you noted: noctural and flying. Nocturnal creatures typically have it listed in their description; a way to double-check is seeing if they have an ability to perceive at night, such as Enhanced Sense [Sight]: Low-Light Vision. Shadowmant, for example, is nocturnal and has low-light vision. Krillra aren't nightflyers because they are diurnal; they're specifically noted as using the sun when they hunt:
In complete and deadly silence, the krillra approaches its prey from the direction of the sun so her quarry cannot see her until it is too late.

Lamoron

Post by Lamoron » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:25 pm

I should put you on retainer Panda. The rules are giving me so many headaches. Good thing the ED setting is so amazing :D

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:28 pm

Turning into a mosquito would be very useful for spying and infiltration purposes.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Bonhumm wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:28 pm
Turning into a mosquito would be very useful for spying and infiltration purposes.
i generally don't recommend turning into something that people will kill just because it's there :P

Lamoron

Post by Lamoron » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:29 pm

How does unconscious/death even work with this spell. I just assumed you would keep your own rating, but that would mean the mother of all mosquitos.

If you get the creatures ratings instead though, what happens when it/you dies?

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:29 pm

Lamoron wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:29 pm
How does unconscious/death even work with this spell. I just assumed you would keep your own rating, but that would mean the mother of all mosquitos.
Since the casters gets all of the creature abilities, I would assume that he also get the same 'HP' as the creature in questions.

Lamoron wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:29 pm
If you get the creatures ratings instead though, what happens when it/you dies?
Exactly that: you die.

Lamoron

Post by Lamoron » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:53 pm

If I get the same "hp", then there's a logical follow up. Assuming my form has 32 death rating, and I take 20 damage, then shift back. Do those 20 damage transfer over, or am "I" unhurt.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:02 pm

I would rule the intent of the spell is bats, birds, & bat-sized insects. The spell definitely could use some clarity.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:28 am

Lamoron wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:53 pm
If I get the same "hp", then there's a logical follow up. Assuming my form has 32 death rating, and I take 20 damage, then shift back. Do those 20 damage transfer over, or am "I" unhurt.

That is also unclear but:

1- If the creature's has a higher unconscious/death rating than the 'natural' from of the character, then I would rule it as working like the Wood Skin talent, that is: 'When the effect wears off, it takes damage equal to the result with it. For example, if the adept’s Health Ratings are increased by 13 due to Wood Skin, up to 13 Damage is removed when it expires.'

2- If the creatures as a lower death rating than the 'natural' from of the character then I would rule that if the creature gets below death rating then the character is dead and therefore revert to its natural state since spells effects end automatically when the caster dies. If the creature was 'X' points below its death rating, then the character would also be 'X' points below his own death rating. The usual 'life saving mechanics' (last chance salve, blood charm, spells etc) could still be applied to the dead character as usual. Would probably also have to take into account any further damage due to falling if the character was flying when he died.

3- In the same situation as #2 but going below UNCONSCIOUS rating, I'd say, again, that the character is unconscious and has reverted to its natural form. If the creature was 'X' points below its unconscious rating, then the character would also be 'X' points below his own unconscious rating. Having a mosquito suddenly turn into a troll would probably be quite a surprise for the character who just slapped it on his arm.

So, to answer your question directly: yes, I would say that damage should 'carry over' between states. So switching back to namegiver form (or vice-versa) would NOT be considered some kind of 'instant heal'.