Spoiler question (My players stay out of this thread!)

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Michael
Spoiler question (My players stay out of this thread!)

Post by Michael » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:35 pm

I have a question about Mists of Betrayal
Spoiler:
So the rose that the queen gives the party. She says“Study the rose,” Queen Alachia commands. “Only by seeing its truths can you fathom what we are.”

So did they ever circle back to this or is this about the forest heart and what they are still doing there (Ala 4th Elven Nations)
thanks

Telarus

Re: Spoiler question (My players stay out of this thread!)

Post by Telarus » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:57 pm

I'm going to hint at a huge setting spoiler, so forgive me for not providing more.

There are 2 magical 'everliving' roses, and they are at the heart of one of the grudges between the Blood Wood and Thera - with ties going back to the 2nd Age Dragon politics... they pop up again in Barsaive at War (2E, non-canonical but used the rough FASA outline of the war).

http://www.loremerchant.com/rpg-reviews ... ve-at-war/

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:20 pm

The rose-in-crystal carried by the characters is the Everliving Flower, an important True Pattern item of the Blood Wood. This rose is later stolen by a team sent by Mountainshadow in a (successful) attempt at making her believe the Theran had stolen it.

Her anger at the theft resulted in the Blood Wood's intervention against the Theran in the Second War.

In Shadowrun, Mountainshadow/Dunkelzahn bequeath, in his last will, the Everliving Flower to Alachia; basically trolling her by showing her he managed to manipulate her over thousands of years.

The rose given by Alachia during the audience is nothing more than a safe passage trinket that will disappear a year and a day later.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:24 am

Telarus wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:57 pm
I'm going to hint at a huge setting spoiler, so forgive me for not providing more.

There are 2 magical 'everliving' roses, and they are at the heart of one of the grudges between the Blood Wood and Thera - with ties going back to the 2nd Age Dragon politics... they pop up again in Barsaive at War (2E, non-canonical but used the rough FASA outline of the war).

http://www.loremerchant.com/rpg-reviews ... ve-at-war/
I appreciate the link to my old review, but I'm not sure where you get the idea there are two Everliving Flowers.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Michael

Post by Michael » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:30 am

Spoiler:
I'm talking about the rose that the queen gives the party, not the pattern item for Wyrm Wood that Hermion sends to the Blood Wood.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Michael wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:30 am
Spoiler:
I'm talking about the rose that the queen gives the party, not the pattern item for Wyrm Wood that Hermion sends to the Blood Wood.
I understand that, and to answer your original question: No, there wasn't any follow-up or continuing plot thread related to that in other books.

I was more wondering why Telarus thinks there were two Everliving Flowers, which is an unrelated matter.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Michael

Post by Michael » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:28 pm

Mataxes wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:05 pm
Michael wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:30 am
Spoiler:
I understand that, and to answer your original question: No, there wasn't any follow-up or continuing plot thread related to that in other books.

I was more wondering why Telarus thinks there were two Everliving Flowers, which is an unrelated matter.
thanks for the follow up and I have no idea why he thinks there are two Everliving Flowers unless one is a fake? Oh those wacky Therans

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:40 pm

Oh, back when I ran some of the 1e stuff and had the Shadowrun references, I thought the Rose Crystal and the Everliving Flower were duplicates of each other, but that isn't actually referenced.

https://shadowrun.fandom.com/wiki/Rose_Crystal