Improving Attribute SP cost?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Michael
Improving Attribute SP cost?

Post by Michael » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:37 am

so I understand that a part of ED is that money means something. That being said, what exactly are you paying for when you raise an attribute?

P447
Attribute training costs money. Each day of training costs a character an average fee equal to his current Attribute Step × 10 silver pieces.
If I'm raising my charisma, what is the money for? Or Will or Perception? I might understand the physical attributes but the mental ones?

And finally, can a party member with the higher stat train someone with a lower stat?

thanks

ChrisDDickey

Re: Improving Attribute SP cost?

Post by ChrisDDickey » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:13 am

I would say that PCs can't train others attributes. It requires more than just having a high value yourself, it requires expertise in training it, and some facilities and/or supplies.

Charisma: Elocution, Oratory, copies of great speeches and practice in delivery.
Willpower: Meditation, Concentration. Fasting and Sleeplessness to train your mind to master your body.
Perception: Puzzles, Memory, Logic, Alertness. Maybe a few books of Sudoku (just kidding, but other logic puzzles).

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:33 am

Michael wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:37 am
And finally, can a party member with the higher stat train someone with a lower stat?

Contrary to Circles/Talents, Knacks and Skills, the description about raising Attributes not only does NOT say anything about needing a trainer with a higher stat but, in fact, does not say anything about needing a trainer at all.

I have always assumed, like Chris said, that the costs where related to self-training expenses; more or less the costs of 'going to the gym'.

The very few times I had to 'roleplay' anything related to Attributes training I usually used the olzim/temple of the closest related Passion as a 'gym' for the training with the monetary cost due to paying for access and related use of equipment/facilities and, maybe, a bit of personal training/advises from the residing Questor:

DEX: Floranuus or Upandal
STR and TOU: Thystonius
PER: Mynbruje
WIL: Lochost
CHA: Astendar or Chorrolis

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:48 am

I have something similar! I'll be using it in my current game:

All attribute increase training takes place at temples of the appropriate Passion. Dexterity: Florannus & Vestrial. Strength: Thystonius & Garlen. Toughness: Thystonius & Raggok. Perception: Mynbruje, Upandal & Dis. Willpower: Lochost & Jaspree. Charisma: Astendar & Chorrolis. Training at the temple of a Mad Passion earns a character 1 corruption point.

Sushy

Post by Sushy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:02 pm

For us a rais on an Attribute is just the consequence of beeing a Adept out in the world.
Due to the Training and adventuring the rais coming simple sayed "by rules" at the circle Advance is just reflecting the Training on muscles, brain, use of Charisma, Endurance etc.
No Trainer needed and no specific Temple or something similiar. But I also like the idea that a Adept can do that from a role playing prospective.

ManDrake

Post by ManDrake » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:44 pm

The way we always played it was that SP cost was paid to the trainer, just like with talents and skills, despite the fact it was never directly spelled out as a requirement, but heavily implied by the verbiage.
At the gamemaster’s discretion, this fee may double or triple if the character wants private tuition.
Seems like the notion of private tuition, points to the notion that you need a tutor to show you how to do it.

The connection to the Passions is an interesting choice, I've never done anything like that before. The mechanics of the training don't seem like they would be overly complicated to me. Mental and physical training techniques seem like they would be fairly easy to figure out. But if you wanted to restrict it, I could see it being a knowledge skill. If you went that route, I would go ahead and probably give adepts the option of taking the knowledge skill for their Important Attributes so they could teach those to others since those are the primary focus of their disciplines. Assuming they had higher attributes than the person they were trying to teach.