How much should you charge for item history talent?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Michael
How much should you charge for item history talent?

Post by Michael » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:29 pm

My players have sort of roped an NPC into the group and he has item history rank 3

The NPC owes the party 500 SP

I was going to rule the same as forge weapon? 50 per rank for the week

Too much? Too little?

discuss

Sharkforce

Re: How much should you charge for item history talent?

Post by Sharkforce » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:51 pm

i'd expect less, simply because forge weapon is a very limited access talent (you're a weaponsmith, or a human adept trained by one, or you don't have it) while item history is available to 4 disciplines.

there's also some room to argue that there is less demand for the talent (only adepts that have thread items are likely to particularly want it), while the demand for forged weapons and armour is probably much greater since the benefits are not limited to adepts.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:09 am

Also Forge Weapon takes a week of 8 hour days, while Item history takes a week of 1 hour days. So about 1/8 of Forge Weapon could be about the base, with it going up or down from there depending upon circumstance.
On the other hand, there could be a certain amount of price fixing among people in a town that can do it, so the price might be whatever the market will bare.

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:07 am

In one of books in previous editions it was 100 sp for a test (week).

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:15 pm

I always go for initial 50SP / week + 50SP for each additional information acquired.
So should the history talent test fail after one week, it's still 50SP for the effort.
If the test succeeds, it's also 50SP.
With lets say 3 additional success levels, it would be 4 information and therefor 200SP (If the item has 4 unknown information left).

Michael

Post by Michael » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:37 pm

thanks for the replies, I like the idea of a sliding scale. 50SP no matter the results and +50 per + success