Elemental Spear - Water

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
The Undying
Re: Elemental Spear - Water

Post by The Undying » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:47 am

Ah, yep, true strike, wasn't looking at the actual spell text. So, previously consumed potions can't add their bonuses.

You're right, things are getting messy at this point. At this point, I think we have to go with "reasonable interpretation." I think it is reasonable to interpret the "+2 Effect" from both the extra success and extra thread to be a further bonus to the RT. With two extra threads (Journeyman), you're still only looking at +6, and since other healing aides can't be incorporated, that power level seems fine. If you're looking at healing front-line fighters, at Journeyman again, I'd say you're likely looking at a MD of ~10 and Spellcasting of ~20, so you are starting to get into some dangerous territory with 3 successes, creating a total of +12 (+2 base, +4 from extra threads, +6 from successes). Still, since this can't stack with other healing aides, I'd still be comfortable with it - there's no bumping that +12 with potions or physician rolls or other common things, but it's on par with what one would likely pull when those things were used instead. HOWEVER, if people start rolling in an optional rule to lower mystic defense, then I feel that this, like MANY other things that are costed/powered assuming that rule doesn't exist, becomes over-powered.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:59 am

I think the interpretation where the thread/success "+2 Effect" is re-interpreted as "+2 Recovery test bonus" is fine, given the context of the Nethermancer Recovery spell. Same caveat (cannot benefit from other healing aides), one thread base on both, Circle 6 [Recovery] versus Circle 4 [Elemental Spear], +5 base bonus versus +2, touch versus ranged. Since Recovery is single-purpose, it's language is super clear: extra threads and bonuses provide +2 bonus to the Recovery test. So, since this is super clear AND provides a greater bonus, seems like a Elemental Spear [Water] with extra threads and successes creeping into the 10-12 bonus territory is fine.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:39 am

Official Clarification:

Bonus successes from the Spellcasting test increase the bonus to the Recovery test, at +2 per success.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:05 am

Mataxes wrote:Official Clarification:

Bonus successes from the Spellcasting test increase the bonus to the Recovery test, at +2 per success.
How about same for extra threads? Thread item "+X to Effect tests"?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:36 pm

Yes. The Water Spear healing bonus is an effect, it's just applied to the Recovery test rather than Willpower.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com