Generic Thread Item Names

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Tattered Rags
Generic Thread Item Names

Post by Tattered Rags » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:56 pm

I mentioned this in my postmortem, but I thought I'd throw it out here for general consumption.

The first key knowledge for a thread item is (almost) always the Name. In some cases, the thread item is actually a generic item pattern. I originally thought they all just had the same Name, but that never sat right with me, so I've since changed my opinions on that. I wouldn't mind an official ruling on the intention of thread item Naming, but also general discussion.

For example: Band of Elements. I presume that the specific one your Warrior received might be Named "Mogruk's Elemental Bands" or "Warrior's Help" instead of "Band of Elements", but in all other ways be identical to the Band of Elements entry in the book. Do I have that right? Do others play it differently?
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Moonwolf

Re: Generic Thread Item Names

Post by Moonwolf » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:00 pm

That's how I've been doing it, everything the party's got so far was a standard thread item other than a custom portable alchemy kit I recently introduced. I'm just keeping track of the key knowledge on a separate set of notes so they're all together.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:13 pm

“I’m sorry, the username [Band of Elements] is taken. Suggestions: Band of Elements_5647, Elements Bandwalker, Band of ElementsAzoJr”

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:14 am

Rags, you're right.

Every item is "unique" in that it is a unique True pattern with a unique Name, even if the suite of powers and effects are the same as another item.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com