More questions

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bonhumm
More questions

Post by Bonhumm » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:08 pm

Going through character creation for 4ED and there is a few details that are bugging me:

1- Movement: The descriptions says that the racial movement is the number of yards that can be done 'in a combat round'. To use the terms of previous editions would that be the Combat movement (i.e. I can still do an action after that) or the Full movement?

2- Also, depending of the answer to the previous question, what would actually be the Combat/Full movement then?

3- Carrying capacity: 4th ED seems to only the the 'real' Carrying capacity without making references to the previous edition's Lifting Capacity. Am I to assume it is the double of carrying capacity as before?

Will probably have more questions later.

Thank you

Mataxes

Re: More questions

Post by Mataxes » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:30 pm

1. Yes. The value given is the "combat" move. On page 373 of the Player's Guide (under the "Movement" and "Standard Action" headings) it explains that you can use your Standard action to move their movement rate again, allowing double movement.

2. So, A human would have 12/24 if written in the old combat/full movement style.

3. Page 404 of the Player's Guide has a sidebar on "Encumbrance" that talks about those limits and carrying more stuff. Basically, it's double carrying without a test, and more is possible with a successful Strength test (but the character can't move or otherwise do stuff while lifting that much).
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:35 pm

1. & 2. PG: Movement p.373

3. PG: Encumbrance p.404

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Thank you both.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:32 pm

Few more questions

1- I seem to remember that Melee Weapons as SKILL was different from the talent as in you had to select a specific class of weapons (sword, maces etc) for it while the talent would cover all (melee) weapons.

I can't find this in 4th Edition. Did I miss something?

2- Free talents: I see the (starting) Spell Matrices for all casting classes are both Free Talents. Is this the case only for those 2 starting Matrices or would it also apply to the potentially extra Spell Matrix from the option pool?

Thank you.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Bonhumm wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:32 pm
1- I seem to remember that Melee Weapons as SKILL was different from the talent as in you had to select a specific class of weapons (sword, maces etc) for it while the talent would cover all (melee) weapons.

I can't find this in 4th Edition. Did I miss something?
Nope. We got rid of that. It was introduced in ED2, and I've never been fond of it. It adds (IMO) unnecessary complexity in an attempt to make talents "better" than skills. Talents are already better than skills -- you can improve it faster, and spend karma on it.

There are still some places where there are differences between the skill and the talent, mostly as a nod to realism (Great Leap distance, for example), but many of them were eliminated.
2- Free talents: I see the (starting) Spell Matrices for all casting classes are both Free Talents. Is this the case only for those 2 starting Matrices or would it also apply to the potentially extra Spell Matrix from the option pool?
Only for the two free matrices. If the magician wants to learn the option, they must spend legend points to learn and raise it as a normal talent.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:42 pm

Thank you again for prompt and clear answers.