question: spell duration

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bonhumm
question: spell duration

Post by Bonhumm » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Not used much to the spellcasting magic of Earthdawn, don't think I've ever played a caster so sorry if questions is neeb-like but:

I'm unsure how the spell duration works for an attack spell like the Wizard's Flame Flash that says its duration is 2 rounds.

1- I'm I right to assume that it means that the effect/damage happens IN FULL (WIL+5)l every round for 2 rounds.

AND

2- Does that mean that the caster must maintain concentration for 2 rounds or is it just a (literally) fire-and-forget spell (i.e. the target is on fire for 2 rounds and the caster can do whatever he wants during the second round)?

Also: The wizard spell Iron Hand confuses me with the term 'close combat'. It says it add damages to 'close combat' which, I would translate into 'melee combat', but the description of the 'hands turning into iron' makes me think this should only apply to unarmed combat.

So: does that +3 step of damage applies only on Unarmed combat or also on melee weapons?

Thank you

etherial

Re: question: spell duration

Post by etherial » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Bonhumm wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:14 pm
Not used much to the spellcasting magic of Earthdawn, don't think I've ever played a caster so sorry if questions is neeb-like but:

I'm unsure how the spell duration works for an attack spell like the Wizard's Flame Flash that says its duration is 2 rounds.

1- I'm I right to assume that it means that the effect/damage happens IN FULL (WIL+5)l every round for 2 rounds.

AND

2- Does that mean that the caster must maintain concentration for 2 rounds or is it just a (literally) fire-and-forget spell (i.e. the target is on fire for 2 rounds and the caster can do whatever he wants during the second round)?

Also: The wizard spell Iron Hand confuses me with the term 'close combat'. It says it add damages to 'close combat' which, I would translate into 'melee combat', but the description of the 'hands turning into iron' makes me think this should only apply to unarmed combat.

So: does that +3 step of damage applies only on Unarmed combat or also on melee weapons?

Thank you
1. Yes. This round and next Round.
2. . It is a fire-and-forget Spell. Compare with Displace Image.

Bonus question: Both. "Melee" means Melee (see Riposte and Claw Riposte), so "Close Combat" means "Melee and/or Unarmed".

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 am

Bonus question: Both. "Melee" means Melee (see Riposte and Claw Riposte), so "Close Combat" means "Melee and/or Unarmed".
Reckon that covers missile users with the point blank pattern knack?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:48 pm

No. Even "point blank" ranged attacks are still ranged attacks.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:00 pm

It's clear to me now.
Too bad I know nothing about bet365 promotional code. This is really sad. I know is nothing at all. What a day!