Matrix pattern items through knacks.

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Calamrin
Matrix pattern items through knacks.

Post by Calamrin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:51 pm

Need Craft true pattern item knack...patterncraft 5, 800 lp.

Need Inncorperate glyph knack...similar again 800lp.

For an enhanced matrix 2k sp, with an EDN of 17.

Doesnt cause a wound on creation.

Thats what i get from reading rules.... ive read bit in the GMG that says can get standard matrix items as rare items from pre scourge.

What i dont get and drives me mad is there appears to be no clear rules on legend point cost, or how they work or how many threads u can weave into them....well basically i dont have a clue... can someone tell me how they supposed to work?

As in if i make one how many threads can be woven into it, is it novice, or journeyman costs....is that even how it works??...rules are not very clear.

ottdmk

Re: Matrix pattern items through knacks.

Post by ottdmk » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:45 am

Calamrin wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:51 pm
Need Craft true pattern item knack...patterncraft 5, 800 lp.

Need Inncorperate glyph knack...similar again 800lp.

For an enhanced matrix 2k sp, with an EDN of 17.

Doesnt cause a wound on creation.

Thats what i get from reading rules.... ive read bit in the GMG that says can get standard matrix items as rare items from pre scourge.
You're quite correct on all this. Your interpretation matches mine precisely.
Calamrin wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:51 pm
What i dont get and drives me mad is there appears to be no clear rules on legend point cost, or how they work or how many threads u can weave into them....well basically i dont have a clue... can someone tell me how they supposed to work?

As in if i make one how many threads can be woven into it, is it novice, or journeyman costs....is that even how it works??...rules are not very clear.
So page 232 lists the four matrix items and which tier they are. Page 202 lists the Rank Limit per tier... This is the maximum thread rank you can tie. It also explains that the cost for a Thread equals the cost for a Talent rank of that Tier.

So, for example if you made an Enhanced Spell Matrix Object, it would be Journeyman tier. You could tie a Thread up to rank 6 to it and each Rank would cost as a Journeyman Talent.

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:51 am

thanks for that....what i had failed to do was cross reference the info in the companion with that in the GMG...im terrible for not actually reading it unless i have a problem (apart from all the canon history)

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Matrix Objects are not limited in rank due to tier of item. They also only have the 1 Key Knowledge.

A Standard Matrix could be brought all the way to Rank 15, though few would want to for several reasons.

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Where is it written that Matrix Items aren't limited by Tier where Thread Rank is concerned? I can't find it.

etherial

Post by etherial » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:24 pm

ottdmk wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:15 pm
Where is it written that Matrix Items aren't limited by Tier where Thread Rank is concerned? I can't find it.
ED3.

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:49 pm

so whats correct and whats wrong? I hate it when things assume u played all the previous editions, or things that make you look a fool if u havent....theres plenty in the rules where i sometimes feel its assumed i should have previous edition knowledge to fill in the blanks....its very annoying and not conducive to getting new players or groups.

Just my opinion....and some of that will be influenced by the boards and the experienced players there, but its always a niggling annoyance.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:03 am

The text in the ED4 GM Guide (page 232) says:
Once active, the matrix is treated in the same way as the character’s other spell matrices.
It could be more explicit, but this means it works just like the equivalent matrix talent -- including the rank potential.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com