Cavalryman Steeds

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Calamrin
Cavalryman Steeds

Post by Calamrin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Im writing some stuff up for a campaign, mainly npcs and the like, and looking at Cavalrymen i cant find any info on favoured steeds for various races, or whats commonplace to have as steed, or rare...well basically anything!!

The bond between a Steed and the Calvalryman is everything... its what they care most about in the world, but i just cant find much steed information

Ive done a brief net search, and ive various books, but they are a random smatter from 1st to 4th edition, and ive got nothing!

Anyway just putting it out there in case anyone has info to hand.

Panda

Re: Cavalryman Steeds

Post by Panda » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Greetings,

There's a few things here which make this question a little tricky - or entirely simple. From a setting perspective, it's the bond formed between adept and mount regardless of what the mount is. Which means it may not matter what is "favored", but what simply happens. There may be additional factors into this - are some animals more likely to forge this bond and some mounts are infinitely more common, meaning the odds of a bond being forged increase well (proportionally or more if they are more inclined to forge bonds). From a mechanical perspective, which mounts are appropriate varies depending on the Circle of the adept. As well, what the actual adept prefers (or wants) may have little to do with what is typical.

While the above may be interesting and provide some perspective, it's not really useful. Below are probably the most common mounts for each race:

Dwarf: Huttawa, pony, and troajin are probably the most common. It's hard to say which is the winner for favored as they are all specifically referenced as common dwarf mounts.
Elf: Horse.
Human: Horse.
Obsidiman: Dyre (they're literally one of the only creatures that can carry an obsidiman).
Ork: Horse. Thundra beasts may be the iconic mount for orks, but they're indicated to be rather rare.
T'skrang: River steed.
Troll: Granlain.
Windling: Kue.

Here's a list of every creature appropriate as a mount in 4E (taken from my Creatures List blog entry) with the Circle listed:
* Goat, Riding [1]
* Horse, Draft [1]
* Horse, Riding [1]
* Kue [1]
* Mule [1]
* Pony [1]
* Granlain [2]
* Horse, War [2]
* Huttawa [2]
* Pegasus [2]
* Pony, War [2]
* Ram, War [2]
* River Steed [2]
* Troajin [2]
* Zoak [2]
* Boar, War [3]
* Hawk, War [3]
* Pegasus, War [3]
* Stajian [3]
* Tarrack [3]
* Bear, War [4]
* Dyre [4]
* Elephant [4]
* Elk, Tundra [4]
* Hippogriff [4]
* Rhinoceros [4]
* Troajin, War [4]
* Wolf, Dire [4]
* Griffin [5]
* Thundra Beast [5]
* Firescale [6]
* Griffin, Jungle [6]
* Skulk [6]
* Mastrylith [7]
* Unicorn [7]

Hopefully this is useful. Please let me know if there are any other questions, or if there is anything further I can do.

Best regards,

Morgan

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:01 pm

Blimey Morgan!... thanks for the both swift and comprehensive reply!

Brilliant. Absolutely what i was looking for.

I have a board tool i use called Trello, and ive copy and pasted all that information into the board called "information thats really useful, but will never find again"

Panda

Post by Panda » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:30 pm

Greetings,

I'm glad it was what you are looking for. I also realize providing a link to the list in question may prove useful in the future as I do update the list with new material from my blog and any official releases. It isn't limited to mounts, but includes all creatures across the 4E line with colored tags to note if they are appropriate as a mount and/or companion, and a reference to where the entry is found. At the bottom of the page are links to various geographies in Barsaive and what creatures you may typically find there. Everything is organized alphabetically by Circle - which I hope is the most useful format. There are similar lists for Horrors, Horror constructs and undead, and thread items. Once there are knacks and spells in more than one location (I'm ignoring the two spells in Travar for now), I should probably do something similar for them.

http://pandagaminggrove.blogspot.com/20 ... -list.html

Hopefully this is also useful. Please let me know if there are any questions, or if there's anything else I can do.

Best regards,

Morgan

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:50 pm

Maybe a more crunchy question...
Back in the days there had been a rule somewhere (Ed1st companion?) that an adept could spend some of his LP on advancing his mount/familiar.(a)

Now I see a different (and also interesting) idea via training that has to be kept up to teach commands.(b)

Is rule (a) still existent somewhere in ED4? Does someone remember in which exact book it was?
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Panda

Post by Panda » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Check the Animal Companion Durability, Animal Training, and Enhance Animal Companion talents and the Ally's Form knacks for animal companion improvements.

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:07 pm

Bookmarked your blog Morgan...its excellent, i got War Hawk off that and had to reference it for river steed, then dig in 3rd edition GMG... but think i got everything i need.... river steed should have been in 4th edition creatures section of GMG!)

I had seen you site before, id only used it for your anatomy guides to 4th edition, and used it to create a 4th edition character, was most useful.
Last edited by Calamrin on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:12 pm

These talents are clearly recognised!

The old system had a bad scaling towards higher circles as far as I remember because the costs for the animals were rather constant in contrast to the LP per evening of the rider.

Thanks also for declaring Thundra Beasts to be rare...
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Panda

Post by Panda » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Greetings,

I'm glad you are finding it useful. The analysis I did regarding 3E is what landed me this gig - which is entirely a labor of love. It's full of stuff an a wiki is probably the superior organization format, rather than a blog. But that's a whole lot of work to move it over. Perhaps less in the long run since I wouldn't be constantly fighting with Blogger over my code (Blogger writes the worst HTML, it's almost beautiful in how awful it is). Honestly, that kind of a shift depends on the prevailing opinions of people who use it. I honestly don't know what material I put out is useful beyond, "Huh, that's interesting". And I've gotten pretty far off track.

My sincere apologies regarding river steed. It was cut from the Gamemaster's Guide because it was just too niche and we had way too much material. Which is entirely my fault. Thus most of the location specific creatures (The Badlands, Blood Wood, Death's Sea, aquatic, etc.) were slated for the Companion. Unfortunately, if you were a Named Horror or a creature under 4th Circle, you got cut from there as well. Swarms and sea creatures (as distinct from river creatures) were also cut because the former still weren't right and the latter need to be paired with a reason to use them. Also development into making the offerings more robust so when there's a reason to use them, there's a good selection. Which puts river steed in a limbo of being complete of years, but never published. The good news is there are places for these to see the light of day sooner-than-later.

Sorry for getting off topic up there.

Best regards,

Morgan

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:59 pm

Im going slightly off topic now! As i say im just doing NPCs which is pretty easy, as you can make up what u wish and feels right in the world.

i will say though one thing in all this background work that feels odd, is Cavalrymen are how i thought Beastmasters would be. The core Cavalryman talents make them every animals friend, whilst Beastmasters struggle to keep up even if they spend all their alternate talents on them....it more feels like beastmasters are emulating their animal/combat/feral side with core talents....i think its the pictures in the players guide that actually paint an innacurate picture of their strengths...prolly just me)