Bow or Crossbow - Rate of fire

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Lursi
Bow or Crossbow - Rate of fire

Post by Lursi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:10 am

My players complained that a typical dwarven crossbowman would be a little off their imagination when build according to the rules as written.

He would like to have more damage with a crossbow and is willing to accept a slower rate of fire.

Also a Troll with a ridiculously large crossbow taken from an airship wreck could be imaginable. His former job could have been ship cannoneer.

Any experiences how to balance this?

What damage step would you propose for fire every other round, third round,etc?
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Dougansf

Re: Bow or Crossbow - Rate of fire

Post by Dougansf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm

If they're a dedicated Archer, that's a horrible idea. Firing every other round means no extra attacks in one round at higher Circles (or even just learning the Skill versions at lower Circles).

Any addition to damage to "balance" that would just encourage that weapon to be fired once at the start of combat, and then ignored unless the fight stays at range.

Also, ask any magician how much fun it is to have a preparation round between attacks.

Earthdawn is a world full of magic. Gritty realism takes a back seat to incredible wuxia-style feats of physical prowess.

etherial

Post by etherial » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:30 pm

I recommend they go to an SCA archery practice and see the real ROF on a crossbow. Yes, it's slower than a longbow, but only about 5%. Several of the finalists at this weekend's Kingdom-level competition were Crossbowmen, and it is always a speed competition.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:38 pm

However - to fit with your player's image, you could make the reloading a move or standard action. Then fire it and drop it, grab another already loaded.

I actually think the damage should be the same, but crossbows should be easier to fire: a +1 to hit that doesn't stack with missile weapons skill/talent.