Problem with difficulties

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Kosmit
Problem with difficulties

Post by Kosmit » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:32 pm

Hey, I've scanned through the PG and noticed that the difficulties aren't always consistent.

For example graceful exit or acrobatic defense target the highest PD, no matter how many enemies are there, while lasting impression, arcane mutterings and battle bellow increase the highest defense by one for each additional target.

What is the reason behind that?

RazanMG

Re: Problem with difficulties

Post by RazanMG » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:28 am

On first glance and only on the Talents mentioned:

If it affects user it is simply highest defense.

If it affects target (not the user) its highest +1 for additional target.

Lasting Impression gives bonuses to user but its simply the other face of penalties to targets Social Defense....:P That's for some smartypants out there :)

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:24 am

I just wondered why they are like this.

DarkHawk

Post by DarkHawk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:55 pm

When looking at difficulties it's a matter of matching the mechanic with the scenario.
In the case of many combat talents you're looking at having to address each target on their own... For acrobatic defense you not defending against the GROUP, your defending against each target INDIVIDUALLY throughout that whole of the action.
While with the others the GROUP is defending against you jointly. A group is harder to effect then an individual and difficulties will be situational.

But that's my interpretation on why it is that way.
For example graceful exit or acrobatic defense target the highest PD, no matter how many enemies are there, while lasting impression, arcane mutterings and battle bellow increase the highest defense by one for each additional target.