dread iota

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
earcaraxe
dread iota

Post by earcaraxe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:57 am

Do I understand correctly that when players are confronting a ghoul which is created by a dread iota, then in each round they have to face 3 actions from their enemy: one from the ghoul itself (claws) and two actions from the dread iota from the inside, say, two "spirit dart" spells?
(and even when their enemy is not yet a ghould, but a living person, it will have 2 additional actions from its parasite)

thanks!

Kosmit

Re: dread iota

Post by Kosmit » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:38 am

I would treat it the way you are - separate host and parasite actions but on different Initiatives. I don't have a description in front of me but maybe Iota have to spend one of it's actions to control a host.

Treat it as Cavalryman and his mount ;)

Lars Gottlieb

Post by Lars Gottlieb » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:34 pm

From the description, I think you're doing it right - two actions for the Iota, one for the Ghoul (o:

earcaraxe

Post by earcaraxe » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:28 pm

thanks for the replies!

I think i might have found a couple oversights. The text of the dread iota mentions two powers of this horror: "horror mark" and "karma tap", none of which are listed amond the iota's powers. I guess "horror mark" is something every horror has, thats why the omitment, but the "karma tap" ability doesnt exist at all (in the rulebook).

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:53 pm

I'm going back and looking into that. I suspect it's a case of some changes to Horror powers we made (which ended up with Karma Tap getting cut) and didn't double check descriptive text.

Thanks for the catch.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:41 am

Errata: The text makes reference to “Karma Tap”, this should be changed to “Karma Boost”. It is also missing the following powers:

Horror Mark (16, Standard): In addition to the normal effects, marked characters develop a subconscious compulsion to expose others to their bodily fluids (and the dread iotas within), commonly through poor hygiene.

Karma Boost
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

earcaraxe

Post by earcaraxe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 pm

Then there is only a small flaw to hammer out, namely "karma boost" can only add karma to tests those already can be boosted by karma, so contrary to the iota's text it cant boost toughness tests (except rare cases).