Survival Guide validity

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
PiXeL01
Survival Guide validity

Post by PiXeL01 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:36 am

I purchased the Survival Guide to gain information about the Wastes, Badlands and similar areas.
Has this information been updated elsewhere?

Also the rest of the Survival Guide is that usual for ED4 in terms of fluff, less so mechanics?

Please excuse my barrage of silly questions

Mataxes

Re: Survival Guide validity

Post by Mataxes » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:21 pm

PiXeL01 wrote:I purchased the Survival Guide to gain information about the Wastes, Badlands and similar areas.
Has this information been updated elsewhere?
Not really. I mean, those areas were kind of vaguely defined to begin with, and we haven't had much chance to expand them.

There's a bit more detail on the Badlands in the Travar book, but the basic ideas behind surviving in them hasn't changed.
Also the rest of the Survival Guide is that usual for ED4 in terms of fluff, less so mechanics?
Different books will have different balances of that, depending on the focus. "Classic" Earthdawn books tended to have a pretty high fluff-to-crunch ratio. This was one of the things that drew me (and many others) to the game, and I'd like to keep that tradition in place.

The upcoming Travar book (for example) is pretty high on the fluff, because it's describing an area and the people who live there. The Questors book will have comparatively more crunch, mainly because it will contain the rules for questor characters (though it has a bunch of fluff as well). There will probably be an expanded magic sourcebook in the future (new spells, items, etc.) that will be heavier on the rules and stat blocks.
Please excuse my barrage of silly questions
No worries.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com