Miscellaneous GMG Questions

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
DustyHead
Miscellaneous GMG Questions

Post by DustyHead » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:08 am

Just finished a full readthrough of the ED4 GM's Guide, and I have a handful of miscellaneous questions. I assume answers to most of these should be relatively straightforward, so please forgive my cramming disparate topics under the same thread.
  1. The radii of most light sources differ between the PG and GMG (candle 3 v. 2, torch 10 v. 5, light quartz 10 v 5). Only lanterns remain the same. Which book is authoritative?
  2. Pg. 171 mentions that poison applied as a coating to weapons usually requires a Wound to take effect. However, none of the example poisons (or callbacks to them in trap listings) reference the necessity of a Wound. Is it just totally left to the GM which poisons require a Wound and which activate on contact? (Witherfang Venom does mention that it requires a “cut,” but it’s not at all clear whether we should understand that as a Wound or just damage in general.) In contrast, creature listings specifically mention that Wounds are not necessary for creature poison to take effect--only damage.
  3. Can multiple special maneuvers be executed as part of the same attack?
  4. Do the automatic hits provided by special maneuvers such as Grab and Bite and Squeeze the Life still count against a creature’s total number of actions in a turn? Do they count against the number of times a specific attack may be used by a creature in a round? (E.g., if a creature has one bite attack each round, would an automatic Grab and Bite attack prevent it from making another bite attack in the same round?)
  5. Is there a particular way PCs are intended to learn that loot is available from a given creature (especially when it comes to body parts)? Is it really just down to the GM flat out telling them or one of them passing a relevant knowledge check they initiate on their own?
  6. The Armored Scales dragon power specifies that it "also applies to spells that deal extra damage with additional successes." Are we to infer, then, that the Hardened Armor creature power does not?
  7. (This one's technically a PG question, so I'm aware I'm cheating a bit.) What action type (i.e., Standard, Simple, etc.) do knowledge skill tests require? I realize this is an academic question in most circumstances, but I’m thinking primarily of PCs using knowledge to uncover available special maneuvers in combat situations.

Sharkforce

Re: Miscellaneous GMG Questions

Post by Sharkforce » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:28 am

1) pretty sure that's bright radius vs total radius. smaller number is bright light, they get additional range with dim.

2) I'd assume they all require wounds (unless eaten or whatever). most creatures require an illusion.

3) if you have enough extra successes, sure.

4) not sure on that one.

5) knowledge checks, lucky guesses ("hey, this thing has a cool-looking hide"), and so forth, for the most part. legend stuff is presumably widely enough known that you don't need a very high check, and you can usually do untrained.

6) dunno.

7) generally depends, I'd say. to recall some minor fact, I've generally seen simple allowed. to recall an in-depth analysis, you're going to need to sit down and think about it.

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:56 am

4) My read for grab and bite / squeeze the life, is that the creature still has to use one action to maintain the grapple, if they do they also automatically inflict damage. As for the bite, I would say that if the creature is holding onto the target with their mouth, they can't use it to do other things

5) Creature analysis may also work on top of shark's suggestions

7) The easier you make it to use knowledge skills to learn about creature's powers and manoeuvres, the more they encroach on talents like creature analysis and call of harrow (and the swordmaster ability seize up)

DustyHead

Post by DustyHead » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:28 pm

Sharkforce wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:28 am
1) pretty sure that's bright radius vs total radius. smaller number is bright light, they get additional range with dim.
I'd buy this if the lantern radius was also halved in the GMG (which is where we get a detailed explanation of bright vs. dim light). I suppose one could argue that the 10 yd. lantern radius in the GMG is the "bright light" area of the hooded lantern which lists a 20 yd. effective range in the PG. That would resolve this apparent inconsistency pretty neatly.
sigfriedmcwild wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:56 am
7) The easier you make it to use knowledge skills to learn about creature's powers and manoeuvres, the more they encroach on talents like creature analysis and call of harrow (and the swordmaster ability seize up)
The GMG calls appropriate knowledge skills out as a legitimate option for this particular application (p.251). But I'm agreed: using skills in this manner should be relatively difficult/limited.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:40 pm

1- Excellent question, I'm surprised nobody noticed that before. I guess it would mean that a PC with a torch can see up to 10 yards while a GM controlled NPC can only see up to 5 yards :-)
But seriously, until the devs release an errata on the subject, I would say its up to the GM.

2- I'd say that unless the poison description states that it works with just skin contact, a wound (i.e. exposing the blood to the poison) is necessary. Of course this brings all the arguments about damage applied by bludgeoning weapons that can create wounds without breaking skin. Thus, I'd say, again up to the GM. Personally, I think poison add an unnecessary layer of complication to the game and just 'rule' that there is no 'weapons applicable' poisons at all (i.e. look; if your PC starts using poisons, my NPC will do as well; so no one gets an advantage over the other and we just complicate things). Of course 'ingested' poisons is still 'a go' for roleplay purpose.

3- No idea, still have to figure out that aspect of the game myself.

4- Same as above.

5- I'd say stuff like Creature Lore would totally cover that aspect. Furthermore, for common creatures I'd say just common sense would kick in: I mean, not that many people have ever interacted with elephants but pretty much everyone would know that their tusks are valuable and would, usually, think of 'looting' them after killing one (note: elephants STILL ONLY COUNT AS ONE KILL!) :-)

6- Considering that talking is a simple action, I'd assume that thinking is the same.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:54 pm

I would be relatively unconcerned about creature analysis being too devalued by knowledge skills.

it can be used multiple times in a fight against the same creature. it can get you hard numbers. it is many times easier to advance (lower LP cost and much lower downtime cost). it has a higher cap. it can be improved with magic. you can usually spend karma on it.

talents have a lot of things going for them.

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:51 am

1. Radii in the GMG include the additional radius where light sources provide dim lighting (enough light to see with a penalty)

2. I tend to rule it as requiring a wound since that is the general mechanic of most poisons. The exceptions are usually called out specifically with the poison/creature in questions.

3. Yes, if you have enough successes to spend, you can spend them on multiple things. Companions states "Special Maneuvers also do not count towards limits on how many knacks can be used", meaning that the regular 1 knack per talent/test limitation isn't applied.

4. Grab and bite will 100% use up the bite attack of the creature, that's just common sense to me ;)
As for other part, these guaranteed hits are tied to the grappling action, which has to be maintained by spending a standard action (see grappling rules). So I would say, yes, it takes up an action, unless the creature decides to release the grapple.

5. We tend to use knowledge and creature analysis for this. With the exception where loot is just very obvious, like the various items that a globberog may contain. The result of the knowledge and creature analysis check also provides the knowledge on how to remove these parts.

6. Never thought about it tbh but I would say yes.

7. As per PG p.197 they are standard actions. (This is where creature analysis as a simple action comes in handy)

DustyHead

Post by DustyHead » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:45 pm

ragbasti wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:51 am
1. Radii in the GMG include the additional radius where light sources provide dim lighting (enough light to see with a penalty)
Point taken, but it's the other way around. The GMG lists smaller radii with a text note about dim light to double the distance. The PG equipment descriptions list the larger radii. We also still have the lantern as an outlier (i.e., the same radius in both sources).
ragbasti wrote:
6. Never thought about it tbh but I would say yes.
Not sure exactly what the design intention was, but I think I'll rule thusly (assuming it's ever relevant at my table, anyway): Hardened Armor protects against effects targeting Physical Armor while Armored Scales also reduces excess damage from Mystic Armor attacks.
ragbasti wrote:
7. As per PG p.197 they are standard actions. (This is where creature analysis as a simple action comes in handy)
Duh. Thank you! Could've sworn I looked for that specific listing multiple times...