Your Earthdawn

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Lys
Re: Your Earthdawn

Post by Lys » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Flowswithdrek wrote:When the Travar book is released the 4 galleys, 6 drakkars are just those owned by the city. Individual merchants have their own fleets.
Yes, that is why i speculated that, in addition to the 63 airships owned by the various city-states, and the 21 ships owned by merchants from Jerris and Iopos, there are likely to be at least another 70+ airships owned by the merchants from other city states. Travar probably accounts for around 20 of those.

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:14 pm

This lines up with the rough notes I have for those numbers, thanks for the investigation Lys. More data is always appreciated!

While not "rare", I would say that these numbers do mean that airship travel in Barsaive is less common than other forms of transport and freight(overland/riverboat), at least compared to the air lanes of the other provinces of the Theran Empire.

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:44 pm

Slanerous wrote:There are a mess of Earthdawn campaigns on Obsidian Portal, quite a few of which have some awesome adventure logs.

It's been a quite good resource for getting my campaign up and running.

Full disclosure: My campaign is also up on the site and will be getting adventure logs as soon as we get past the first actual adventure :)
Hands down my favorite one is Heroes Unchained.
https://heroesunchained.obsidianportal.com

I'm in the same boat as you with my own adventure, except I'm using Scabard. I really like the auto-linking feature between the different elements you put in there. For example, any use of a character name links to that characters's page.

Setting up adventure logs in it seems potentially clunky, though. Has promise that if you set them up right, then it could be great. Not sure yet.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Mogre

Post by Mogre » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:31 am

I haven't read the rules on what qualifies as a dead thread, so please don't ban me, bro.

I came up with the idea of "Regional Trade Tongues." Theran and Throalic are two so far. It just makes more sense to me than Dwarven (Throalic) and Dwarven (Theran).

I'll post others as the game progresses.

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:04 am

Theran is an offshoot of Sperethriel (Blood Wood Elven).

Mogre

Post by Mogre » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:48 am

Telarus wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:04 am
Theran is an offshoot of Sperethriel (Blood Wood Elven).
Yup and Throalic, in my game, is an offshoot of Dwarven. It was mentioned elsewhere on the forums that Theran is an offshoot of Sperethriel and the old Theran Empire book says that speakers of Sperethriel can get the gist of a conversation but won't understand the nuances. I imagine it would be similar to the differences between Spanish and Portuguese, both having origins in Latin, but I'm not a language expert.

Although, while looking through that old book I see a bit more on languages. The rules are more in depth breaking them down to Provincial, Racial, and Minor.

It's just a preference.

Arcadian

Post by Arcadian » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:22 pm

Ley Lines.

I couldn't find any reference to them in the books. I like the idea that ley lines cross Barsaive and the Nexus are where the gates open for horrors (kind of like Rifts). It adds a lot of 'logic' to how magic works for me.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Arcadian wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:22 pm
Ley Lines.

I couldn't find any reference to them in the books. I like the idea that ley lines cross Barsaive and the Nexus are where the gates open for horrors (kind of like Rifts). It adds a lot of 'logic' to how magic works for me.
I'm reading the Parlainth book. There was a note about one of the diagonal streets that crosses the entire city points in the direction of Thera.

Sounds like Ley Line work to me. :)