DIGITAL HERMITS INGNORANT QUESTIONS THREAD

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Digital Hermit
DIGITAL HERMITS INGNORANT QUESTIONS THREAD

Post by Digital Hermit » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm

Dear GMs,

I am beginning the long journey to enlightenment and understanding.

I would like to post my questions via this thread as I go through the 4th edition, Players Guide, Companion, and Game Masters Guide. Hopefully, it will be in the order they come up, but I will post the book and pages for reference.

First ignorant question:

Players Guide(PG): Pg 45: Dwarf Racial Abilities: Strong Back: Is the +2 bonus applied to the strength attribute or the strength step number? I understand it only pertains to the characters carrying capacity.

Best,

DH

Sharkforce

Re: DIGITAL HERMITS INGNORANT QUESTIONS THREAD

Post by Sharkforce » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:54 pm

strength step does not increase carrying capacity. therefore, logically it would apply to strength attribute.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:12 pm

Welcome, feel free to ask as many question as you want.

If you look at page 63, you'll notice that the carrying capacity is based on the strength VALUE, not the Step. Thus the +2 would apply to the value.

For example, A new character is being created and have finished spending the 25 points allowed to Attributes during creation, the character has a strength VALUE of 16:

- If the character was a human, he would use '16' to figure out his carrying capacity (i.e. 175 lbs).
- If the character was a dwarf, he would use '16+2=18' to figure out his carrying capacity (i.e. 215 lbs). This +2 would NOT apply to the strength VALUE of 16 for ANY other purposes (like, for example, calculating the strength STEP).

Digital Hermit

Post by Digital Hermit » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 am

Dear Sharkforce and Bonhumm,

Thanks for the help on that one. Funny if it had said +2 bonus to their strength attribute I would not have asked. :mrgreen:

I am sure I will have more questions coming.

Best,

DH

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:06 am

This is the place for questions!