K'stulaami clothing and armor

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
FLal KTan
K'stulaami clothing and armor

Post by FLal KTan » Thu May 28, 2020 12:10 pm

I know there was a short discussion on k'stulaami wearing clothes with sleeves, but I was wondering about something more practical... Do any of you prohibit k'stulaami wearing armor? From all the images I can find, they never wear anything on their torsos. I can't see how they could wear anything on top at all unless it was like a poncho (e.g. a piece of fabric with a hole in the middle for your head) that could maybe be belted at the waist, if you go by the text description that the k'stulaa only go to the waist. However, I've noticed in more than one depiction the k'stulaa go from wrist to slightly above the knee (e.g. here, here, and here). In which case I wonder, how do they even wear pants or a loin cloth? Nothing can go around the waist or it would hamper, restrict, or pull at the k'stulaa, so no belts or straps to hold a loincloth up.

I'm just wondering how any of you might have handled this. I was thinking that maybe the k'stulaa aren't attached to the body all the way down, or that maybe they cut them near or at the waist, as a cultural practice, to allow for covering themselves up, at least among non-k'stulaami.

Slimcreeper

Re: K'stulaami clothing and armor

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu May 28, 2020 1:46 pm

I say they can't wear armor with an Initiative Penalty.

etherial

Post by etherial » Fri May 29, 2020 12:17 am

Slimcreeper wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:46 pm
I say they can't wear armor with an Initiative Penalty.
Not even Blood Pebble?

etherial

Post by etherial » Fri May 29, 2020 12:17 am

FLal KTan wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:10 pm
I'm just wondering how any of you might have handled this. I was thinking that maybe the k'stulaa aren't attached to the body all the way down, or that maybe they cut them near or at the waist, as a cultural practice, to allow for covering themselves up, at least among non-k'stulaami.
My K'Stulaami PC had some piercings to hold up a belt.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri May 29, 2020 3:39 am

Hmm, that's a good point etherial. I guess they should be able to use living armor.

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Sun May 31, 2020 12:52 pm

It's a bit of a challenge but they should be able to wear almost any armor. I would just make their armors more expensive due to the large number of modifications to standard designs needed.
As Earthdawn doesn't have hit-zones, armor is armor, no matter what it looks like.

Plate armor could just be a perfectly fitted chest- and backplate that is held in place via straps around the shoulders and legs.
Leather armour would probably be a large on-piecer with a hole for the head that's again attached with straps at the bottom.

Since T'Skrang don't have the standard humanoid parts down there to get in the way, such straps also wouldn't rub on anything ;)