Converting 3rd to 4th.

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Kosmit
Converting 3rd to 4th.

Post by Kosmit » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:16 am

Hi,

I am planning to convert Ardanyan's Revenge into 4th edition.

Is there anything to pay attention other than talent progression, discipline abilities and armor values?

PiXeL01

Re: Converting 3rd to 4th.

Post by PiXeL01 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:48 am

*disclaimer* I have previous experience with the Earthdawn system other than ED4

I ran my group through Ardanyan's Revenge. We were all (and still are) pretty wet behind the ears, but we made it through as Kaerdwellers.

When I prepared the adventure I compared the stats of the creatures in the adventure with those in the ED4 GMG and found the ED4 ones to be significant stronger.
I solved the Shadowmant encounter by having a young version with the ED3 stats attack first. If the group seemed to be handling it easily "mother" ED4 version would come sneaking down from above. If they would be having problems, then mommy would not be home.
As for the Brithan I made it possible for the players to drop the portcullis on it by making the cords running from the trapped doors visible in the ceiling. Good thing I did as the ED4 thing nearly devoured the troll warrior in round 1.

I kept all the other npc stats the same except for checking and recalculating their defense values. (Can't remember if I needed to though)
One thing though. The group was Circle 2 before they left the Kaer as I had run a few short adventures to ease them into the system other than those suggested in the book and our LP rewarded per session is above average as we only play once a month.
Also at our table we have a rule that allows an Adept to circle up without seeing a trainer so I think they were Circle 3 when they arrived in the city for the first time.
It was not a breeze for them though even if they were a little bit stronger than what the adventure is designed for.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:16 am

Just finished my group through Ardanyan as Kaer dwellers.

After killing 3 players in prelude adventures, I got them to Circle 3 before exiting the Kaer. Then used the training time requirements, and plot development, to keep them from improving further. I think 3rd may have been a little too high. If nothing else, Mystic Tracking allowed them to go right past most of the town stuff, and follow the main plot.

I lowered the power of the Shadowmants and Brithain as well. About half way between the stats in the adventure, and the 4E stats. The beast master ended up taking care of almost all of them with one hit each (cutting tails and wounding the Brithain).

The PC Thief made short work of all the locks and traps. DNs could be higher, but the trap damage seems fine.

I used a homegrown minion rule for the Council Hall raid. If the minion guard took a wound, he surrendered/fled/passed out. The adept guards worked as normal. I threw an illusionist guard in there to give them a bonus spotting the Thief, and to teach the PCs about illusions for dealing with the traitor later.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Almost forgot:

I wanted the climactic scene to have a bit more impact and agency on the PC's. So I made up some rules for a Social Conflict, where they had to win the Kaer Council members over to their side before the Traitor turned the Council against the Players. Once they were all up to Netrual or better, they turned on the Traitor, who then made the scripted exit scene.