Ash Ooz [Construct]

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Slimcreeper
Ash Ooz [Construct]

Post by Slimcreeper » Sat May 16, 2020 4:37 pm

Ash Oozes
Horror Construct
Name-Givers that seek to avoid the horror of seeing their loved ones rising as Cadavermen may cremate the bodies. This will prevent the unfortunates rising as Cadavermen, but not all Horrors are so easily duped. If they can get to the ashes before the thread to the deceased spirit is definitively broken, they may gather the ashes, mix them with a bit of oil, water, wine or some other liquid, and raise them as an Ash Ooz. These terrible constructs appear to be a translucent blob of ash-colored goo slightly smaller than the Name-giver they were made from. They do contain enough fingerbones to animate two or three pseudopod ‘hands’ as needed to open doors or manipulate simple tools. There are no other signs that it originated from Name-giver unless they are in the presence of their loved ones. In these circumstances, the ooze molds its surface into the face it had when it lived and speaks of burning, eternal unceasing burning. It will strive to embrace those it left behind, desperately eager to share the burning.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P_8 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Slimcreeper on Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Slimcreeper

Re: Ash Ooz [Construct]

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:15 pm

Edited to increase sticky body step and add Great Leap to the Small Ash Ooz, so it can attack windlings.

Document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P_8 ... sp=sharing

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:59 pm

I hate nethering threads, but this was too enticing to pass up.

I must disagree with the idea of Ash Oozes having no clue to their terrible origin when including such a thing can cause so much pain and suffering to loved ones!

Such creatures should moan in pain and agony, lamenting their state, blaming their loved ones for their corruption ("Why did you burn me! You did this, not for my sake, but your fear! Your corruption made me this way!) Adding something like the Gloomwing's Aura of Dejection or a Dreamer's Mind Rend power plays into the flavor of this, and making acquaintances more susceptible thr better they knew the victim would be a nice touch.

Even more so, ash oozes like that may simply take up residence hidden somewhere in a person's house, blaming them at night while the try to sleep, hoping to drive the person insane, to the point they burn their house down (with themselves inside, of course, to rise as another Ash Ooze).

Perhaps a more powerful variant, instead, though? But I like the idea of playing off the theme of people doing what they know is typically best, burning the corpse, only to make things worse.
Last edited by Tattered Rags on Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:07 pm

Hey! Dig up any old thread of mine any time, Tattered!

A good point ... I think I could write something to take that into consideration ...

Also, I think if they are to be different sizes there should be more variety to justify the different stat blocks. I'll go back into these!