Original War outline?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
FLal KTan
Original War outline?

Post by FLal KTan » Fri May 15, 2020 8:36 pm

I've seen and heard (on EDSG podcast for example) about an original outline for the second Theran War is somehow available. Does anyone have a link to this somewhere? I'm looking for as much information around this (some of which seems to be more detailed than the history chapter in the 4e game master book). I'm taking a newish group through all of the published adventures, frameworks and hooks (adjusted a bit as we are starting with a version of Kaer Ardanyan set in 1507 TH), and I want to be able to see some of the non-diegetic information so I can adjust Barsaive at War to fit with the 4e history. If it's not really available at all, that's fine, but if someone knows where I might be able to find it I'd really appreciate it.

Mataxes

Re: Original War outline?

Post by Mataxes » Sat May 16, 2020 1:51 am

Lou Prosperi was kind enough to share the outline in the "Earthdawn Guild" Facebook group.

Here's a link
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

FLal KTan

Post by FLal KTan » Sun May 17, 2020 2:09 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Mcgarnagle

Post by Mcgarnagle » Sun May 17, 2020 3:02 pm

I’d also love to see this too. I just joined the Guild and was accepted but when I click in the link above, I get this message:
Insufficient permission

You do not have the necessary permission for the specific page to preform the requested action.
Is there a probation period before I can view certain posts?

Thanks!

Mcgarnagle

Post by Mcgarnagle » Sun May 17, 2020 3:44 pm

Ah, never mind. I found it in the files section!

burbigo

Post by burbigo » Mon May 18, 2020 7:51 am

So I guess that this has been solved ?

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Mon May 18, 2020 7:36 pm

Hey Josh, is this thing canon?

It says 'Barsaive at war, outline of content 1998'. Is this just a overview of LRG 'Barsaive at war' which, I think, you had declared as non-canon or actually canon?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Mon May 18, 2020 9:28 pm

Bonhumm wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:36 pm
Hey Josh, is this thing canon?

It says 'Barsaive at war, outline of content 1998'. Is this just a overview of LRG 'Barsaive at war' which, I think, you had declared as non-canon or actually canon?
This is the original outline that Lou Prosperi had worked up prior to FASA stopping active production of Earthdawn. It is the outline upon which LRG based their "Barsaive at War" book.

It highlights a lot of the hints and connections from ED books at the end of FASA's run and the broad plan that was in place. It's not technically canon, but it did inform a lot of the choices I made when coming up with the detail of the ED4 "time jump". (Just as it informed the choices made by LRG.)

It's interesting as a historical artifact; a little bit of "behind the scenes" game development and peek at the process. You can also see where LRG took some of the ideas that cropped up in "Barsaive in Chaos" and "Scourge Unending".

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Mon May 18, 2020 11:56 pm

I see. Very interesting indeed.

Lots of good stuff in there; of course its kinda driving me crazy on what 'is' canon in there or not, like the whole 'Aban in behind House Hengyoke' thing.

It was also real fun to actually see clear numbers for the forces in presences: soldiers, airships etc.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue May 19, 2020 12:13 am

Let me put it this way: I think "canon" is a troublesome term, and excessive focus on it can be detrimental.

"Canon" is whatever is true for your game at your table. Even if it disagrees with material published by FASA. Our goal is to put out material that you can use (or not) as best fits your needs.

If you don't like a detail, or something that happened in your game is later contradicted by a published book? That's fine! Go with it.

(I think I've told the story of "Riverfork" -- the town I made up and based a game out of before Serpent River was released and revealed the existence of the Lalai Gorge and Cliff City. Same idea.)

Of course, I recognize that might involve more work -- especially as later published works build off assumptions and details from earlier ones. That's the nature of world building and collective myth-making. Different people are going to have different ideas and go in different directions.

It's all good.