Ed4 : Lowering Mystical Defense

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
JBF
Ed4 : Lowering Mystical Defense

Post by JBF » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi,

I have been playing extensively ED1 when it was released, and now after a long pause, I want to GM again on ED4.

One rule change I have noted regarding spellcasting, is that if I remember well in ED1, someone (including the spellcaster when targetting himself) could volunteer to get targetted to the spell, lowering if I remember well its mystical defense to 2, and therefore except Role of One granting automatic success to the spell.

In ED4, I don't see this anymore, and moreover with the addition of "successes" that increase the spell effects, for sure it would imbalance the game. On the other hand, as MD evolves also, i have a hard time imagining spellcasters regularly failing to cast a spell on themselves, or not able to get extra successes as they achieve higher circles, because both their spellcasting and their MD evolved...
What s other GM's take on this aspect ?

Flowswithdrek

Re: Ed4 : Lowering Mystical Defense

Post by Flowswithdrek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:32 pm

Ive had no trouble with being unable to lower Mystic Defence. A few of my players grumbled in the beginning, but soon got used to it and moved on. Casting has only failed a few times and my group has been playing since 4th ED came out. The rules overall seem well balanced.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:05 pm

There's an optional rule in the companion 4e for it:
LOWERING MYSTIC DEFENSE
Earlier editions of Earthdawn allowed characters to voluntarily lower their Mystic Defense when casting a spell on themselves, or by a friendly magician. This makes it easier for enhancing spells to take effect. The Lowering Mystic Defense optional rule returns this feature to the game.
When casting a spell on a willing target, the Spellcasting test always scores at least one success. Additional successes are calculated as normal, comparing the result to the target’s normal Mystic Defense.

JBF

Post by JBF » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. The optional rule makes sense to me... I have to put it to test ( just going back to the game, so I am still exploring the differences)

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:15 am

i would also mention that some of the new shaman spells in the mystic paths book give a TN of 6 for willing targets, which is another option that could be considered (though you should probably do so carefully).