Differences in lore - 1st edition vs 4th edition

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Sadelel326
Differences in lore - 1st edition vs 4th edition

Post by Sadelel326 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:24 pm

Hi,

I have come across a thread with differences in mechanics listed, but it didn't cover the lore aspect of the question. I have played Earthdawn some 10+ years ago and I would like to get back to it, this time as a GM. The long story short is my group plays in a different language than English, and the only edition available in this language is the first one (some of them can't read English that well). I heard that the mechanics were improved and simplified in 4 ed, so I would prefer to run this version. I can learn and explain the rules, combat and so on, however, I would like to be able to give my players the chance to familiarize themselves with the lore in their native tongue. Is this idea viable, are there great differences in the lore, changes in the backstory of the world, etc. that will make us have a completely different vision from me reading the 4th ed, and them reading the 1st ed?

Bonhumm

Re: Differences in lore - 1st edition vs 4th edition

Post by Bonhumm » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:31 pm

Which language is it?

As for lore, nothing have changed between 1st and 4th edition other than the timeline advanced about 10 years.

So everything that is described as 'happening' in 1st edition has happened. Region/city lore, racial lore etc is also still valid.

The exception is 2nd edition that is not considered canon at all. Thus, although 'Prelude to War' is considered mostly canon, 'Barsaive at War' is not considered canon although, from the history section from the 4th GM book, I'd say about 70% of it might be canon. 'Barsaive in Chaos' is completely NOT canon.

Many people (including my own group) are playing using 4th edition rule but still in the first edition timeline.

Sadelel326

Post by Sadelel326 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:14 pm

It's Polish. Thanks, that's pretty much what I needed to know.

I will probably do the exact same thing you did and just play the 1st ed timeline.

I just didn't want to be suddenly suprised with a new race retconned in or changed origin stories and so on. I've seen things like that happen with other systems I play or run, and the lores are completely not incompatible, which prompted the question.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:55 am

The only difference, as far as I know, is that all elves are enormously fat with bright pink skin. And windlings are fantastically gassy - it sounds like birdsong.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:32 am

There are actually some changes in emphasis that might cause a few mental bumps.

For example, many of the old racial restrictions have been removed or altered. So you now see Non-Obsidimen purifiers, etc.
Some of the Disciplines have changed focus slightly, "Sky" is now considered "optional" to being a Sky Raider, and "Beasts" are now optional to being a beastmaster. I personally feel that the Illusionist is very different in 4th edition. Some of the "way of the ..." articles from earlier editions might now be considered to present an old fashioned / conservative view, rather than the only permissible view. Etc.
Last edited by ChrisDDickey on Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sadelel326

Post by Sadelel326 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:44 am

Slimcreeper wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:55 am
The only difference, as far as I know, is that all elves are enormously fat with bright pink skin. And windlings are fantastically gassy - it sounds like birdsong.
To be honest I think I'm gonna house rule the latter. Thanks.
ChrisDDickey wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:32 am
There are actually some changes in emphasis that might cause a few mental bumps.
Thank you, that's something to keep an eye out for. I am glad that the 'ways of' are more flexible now, I am cool with less dogmatic interpretations.