Fighting Kues

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Slimcreeper
Fighting Kues

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Always made me sad that kues were such a sub-par choice for windling cavalrymen. I like the idea of them slithering out of the underbrush. I based them mostly on cheetahs, but much slower and with more armor and a bit more health.

Fighting Kue

Fighting Kue are common mounts for windlings cavalrymen. They are bred to be larger and stronger than standard riding Kue, but quite stealthy.

Challenge: Novice (Second Circle)
DEX: 8 Initiative: 8 Unconsciousness: 22
STR: 6 Physical Defense: 10 Death Rating: 26
TOU: 5 Mystic Defense: 8 Wound Threshold: 6
PER: 6 Social Defense: 7 Knockdown: 15
WIL: 5 Physical Armor: 5 Recovery Tests: 1
CHA: 5 Mystic Armor: 2
Movement: 14
Actions: 1; Claws: 10 (8); Tail 8 (10)
Special Powers:
Climbing (10)
Enhanced Hearing (Step 7), Low-light Vision
Great Leap (step 8)
Stealthy Stride (Step 11)

Sharkforce

Re: Fighting Kues

Post by Sharkforce » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:39 am

i mean, you could always just give them a mask from the companion. elite is, i think, exactly intended for this sort of thing. alternately, you could use large, or stealthy, or both i suppose. at least, i can't recall any specific statement that you should never use multiple masks (though certainly, some amount of care when it comes to how those masks interact with each other is probably wise).

on a side note, why are several stats (in particular, ones that would be used in combat) *lower* than normal for a kue? i don't see why these would have worse initiative or deal less damage with their tail. being worse at climbing feels a little odd (i don't see why any such sacrifice would need to be made to gain the other improvements), but also, having their knockdown rating and enhanced hearing increase by such a large margin feels a bit weird.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:27 pm

A mask would have been smart … I temporarily forgot they existed apparently …

I kept the attacks the same, I think (typo?). The climbing was lower because it’s heavier than a normal kue. And whatever. I’ll just go and stick a mask on it like a civilized game master.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:23 pm

hehe, well, nothing wrong with making your own thing, masks are just a nice easy solution ;)

according to my copy of the book, tail for a kue is 9(9).

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:14 pm

So start with a Kue, get the elite mount mask. It’s perfect.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:14 pm

So start with a Kue, get the elite mount mask. It’s perfect.