Horror Power - Thought Worm, where or how?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
PiXeL01
Horror Power - Thought Worm, where or how?

Post by PiXeL01 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:43 pm

I spend much of my spare time consuming the older Earthdawn sourcebooks to properly familiarize myself with the setting and it's denizens. As I read about Horrors the power Thought Worm frequently appears but I cannot find its ED4 equivalent.

Am I just blind (again) or hasn't it been updated yet?
If not what did it do and how would you handle it?

Telarus

Re: Horror Power - Thought Worm, where or how?

Post by Telarus » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:25 am

It looks like it was re-worked into the Corrupt Compromise Horror Power. They are slightly different, though. Let's see.

Corrupt Compromise requires that the horror has a Horror Mark already on the victim (thus is subject to the Horror Mark range restrictions). The horror spends a Karma point and offers to the character a +X bonus to one trait if they follow the suggested course of action (in spirit as well as letter). If the character refuses, the horror gets the +X to one of their traits (this is like pattern item magic). Max bonus is the horror's Corrupt Compromise step, and this also serves as the maximum "bonus threads" the horror can offer. Accepting the offer gives the character a Corruption Point (and this ties back into the new Corruption rules).

Thought Worm does not require a Horror Mark (and in fact is one of the ways a horror can re-attempt to Mark a victim that it failed to the first time), but if already marked the horror gets a +3 bonus. Target must be within line of sight, roll Thought Worm step vs Spell Defense, success creates a telepathic link with a range of 1,000 miles. Horror makes suggestions similar to Corrupt Compromise. Resisting the suggestion causes Thought Worm step damage to the character (Mystic Armor applies), and the gamemaster records Thought Worm step x100 Legend Points. This "bribe" keeps increasing until the character accepts a suggestion, at which point they get the "whole pot" - AND the horror gets to make another Horror Mark test on the victim.

Thought Worm is an iconic ability, as it's what J'Role had to suffer through until he found the Horror in Parlainth. I'll think about what it would take to update it to 4E (not sure, but high-level Horror stuff may be in the Companion).

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:29 am

Telarus wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:25 am
Thought Worm is an iconic ability, as it's what J'Role had to suffer through until he found the Horror in Parlainth. I'll think about what it would take to update it to 4E (not sure, but high-level Horror stuff may be in the Companion).
No it isn't. The Horror from The Longing Ring that tormented J'role was a despairthought, which doesn't have the Thought Worm power (at least in ED1).
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:20 am

Hm, I thought he wasn't actually Marked, but still had the thing in his head.. worth a re-read!

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:23 am

After you've read the novel, read the description of the Despairthought. There's no question.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com