How much does a wagon cost?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Michael
How much does a wagon cost?

Post by Michael » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:50 pm

So the players 4 draft horses and wagon were taken by the villainous Fegis Kul!

Page 439, shows this
Wagon, Large 50
Wagon, Small 30

even though it's listed under transport/per person, I'm assuming that it's the cost of the wagon, not the price to ride in one?

thanks

Bonhumm

Re: How much does a wagon cost?

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:54 pm

This would be indeed the price for the wagon itself.

This would not, of course, include the horses nor all the gear related to attaching the horses like the drawbar, harness etc.

Also; I would consider this to be the price for a basic, completely unequipped, flatbed cart. I would double the price for a something along the lines of a 'western-style' covered wagon or at least triple for a 'wooden-house' wagon.

ManDrake

Post by ManDrake » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:53 pm

The price to ride in one would probably be the Caravan rate, since those are primarily wagon transports.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:39 pm

Quick research puts the price of a conestoga wagon as @ $250 in 1850, which is @ $8,000 in today's dollars. Conestogas were freight wagons (They could carry up to 6 tons) and caulked so they could cross rivers without leaking and were too heavy for the oregon passage. Wagons on the Oregon Trail were basic farm wagons with a canvas cover and could carry up to @ 2,500 lbs. So about 2 1/2 obsidimen. A wagon prepared (covered & outfitted) for the trip might run $400.

Simpler Wagons would run $25-$30, in today's dollars @ $1000.

(all numbers are very ballpark because I'm drawing from various quick google searches)

Does a silver correspond to a US dollar in your head?