Claw shape and shields

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Lys
Re: Claw shape and shields

Post by Lys » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:52 am

Let's see in my 5th Circle group: The Nethermancer has padded leather and a crystal buckler, the Wizard hide armour and a crystal buckler, and the Elementalist fernweave but no shield. For comparison the Warrior wears crystal ringlet and a crystal raider shield, the Swordmaster and Troubadour have thundra skin and dual-wield, and the Thief has fernweave and a crystal buckler. Everyone's equipment is Forged roughly +3 on the weapons, and +5 on the armour. So the casters are generally more lightly armoured than the front line combatants, but still reasonably protected. As i recall at the start of the game they all had padded leather, but no shields.

Seems fair to say that my group didn't feel too inhibited by preconceptions of what wizards should or should not wear. Though as i recall the Wizard's player did have to be gently reminded that armour is really nice to have when people are trying to hit you with sharp objects.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:43 am

PiXeL01 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:32 am
So in ED I believe full plate donning, body shield dragging casters are possible, since only strength is a problem.
The initiative penalties are also a limiting factor. You can't bring yourself below Step 1.

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:20 am

For me swift kick was always about extra unarmed attack not a kick...

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:50 am

Kosmit wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:20 am
For me swift kick was always about extra unarmed attack not a kick...
ED has always made a specific note that you have to fulfill the conditions to use a thing. The conditions for swift kick are pretty straightforward. You may not use them, but RAW, swift kick is most definitely an extra attack via a free leg and a kick (or tail, in case of 'tskrang). Does that matter 99% of the time? Probably not. BUT, if someone is entangled, I'm pretty sure they could not perform a swift kick as they have no free leg.

CPFCPF

Post by CPFCPF » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks guys for all the answers! It's a bit controversial between use and style, but I now know, what I wantesd to know. Thanks alot!

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:45 pm

The Undying wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:05 am
Mataxes wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:58 pm
He's probably referring to prior editions where it is called out that t'skrang can use their tails. (I don't think it's explicitly called out as such in ED4, as I'm not near my books, but I don't see any reason to prohibit it.)
Yeah, I could totally see t'skrang tail action here. However, if the intent was "someone can punch instead of kick when using Swift Kick," that should definitely not be a thing.
Found it (or pretty close)
ED4PG page 53 wrote: Tail Combat: T'skrang often make use of their tails when engaged in combat. A t'skrang can use his tail to whip at opponents in unarmed combat much like striking with an arm or kicking with a leg.