Claw shape and shields

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
The Undying
Re: Claw shape and shields

Post by The Undying » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:03 am

Mataxes wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:57 pm
What reason would there be to restrict it?
Just the feel, as I mentioned. For me, the idea of using a shield - especially a LARGE shield like a body shield - does not jive with unarmed combat.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:05 am

Mataxes wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:58 pm
He's probably referring to prior editions where it is called out that t'skrang can use their tails. (I don't think it's explicitly called out as such in ED4, as I'm not near my books, but I don't see any reason to prohibit it.)
Yeah, I could totally see t'skrang tail action here. However, if the intent was "someone can punch instead of kick when using Swift Kick," that should definitely not be a thing.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:06 am

The Undying wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:03 am
Mataxes wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:57 pm
What reason would there be to restrict it?
Just the feel, as I mentioned. For me, the idea of using a shield - especially a LARGE shield like a body shield - does not jive with unarmed combat.
Considering the idea is, at least superficially, for Claw Shape to parallel the damage progression of a broadsword, there doesn't seem to be a good mechanical reason to keep the Beastmaster from having access to the defense boosts a 1-hand melee fighter would get with a shield. Especially given that a dedicated melee combatant typically has more abilities to enhance their combat prowess than a Beastmaster.

I mean, as I've said before, do what you want, but there's no restriction per the rules.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:20 am

Mataxes wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:06 am
I mean, as I've said before, do what you want, but there's no restriction per the rules.
I'm not trying to be obtuse, I'm honestly curious: does that mean that you would say there's no restriction per rules against using a shield with Spellcasting? Many spells are one-handed, so by the same logic, I don't see why a magician couldn't use a shield, especially since there's nothing in the rules restricting it.

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:28 am

Absolutely :D Armor too. Dwarven War-casters are a sight to behold, and some of the worst enemies in my 1/2/3 ed campaigns were elven casters in faerie chainmail.

Come to think of it, I've always wanted to stat up that dang Illusionist martial-arts master (hold-thread, grapple, *POW*), but I would have to update the (True) Blazing Fists of Rage. And work out some other rules...

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:34 am

I think armor is a different category. Some systems (D&D is a shining example) have a spell check penalty, or outright prohibition, on armor use. This is 100% a thing outlined in their rule system. There isn't a hint of that in ED.

Shields are just in this weird half-world. The only thing it says is that "you can only use one-handed weapons." Spellcasting doesn't require ANY weapons, so we're good RAW, right? Eh, that's FEELS wonkity, but it FEELS wonkity in the same way that "unarmed fighting can be one-handed" rubs me the wrong way. You can use it when you're casting one-handed spells? Eh, that creates a book-keeping headache: was the last spell one or two handed; when does the shield start/stop taking effect with different spell handedness; etc.

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:41 am

Speaking of Claw Shape doesn't it enhance tail damage as well?
The reason I ask is that the Tail Attack entry states the damage can be modified by talents modifying unarmed damage, which Claw Shape does.
Also some T'Skrang have spiked tails. So could Claw Shape cause spikes to sprout from a t'skrang tail?

Lys

Post by Lys » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:51 am

The Undying wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:34 am
Shields are just in this weird half-world. The only thing it says is that "you can only use one-handed weapons." Spellcasting doesn't require ANY weapons, so we're good RAW, right? Eh, that's FEELS wonkity, but it FEELS wonkity in the same way that "unarmed fighting can be one-handed" rubs me the wrong way. You can use it when you're casting one-handed spells? Eh, that creates a book-keeping headache: was the last spell one or two handed; when does the shield start/stop taking effect with different spell handedness; etc.
The way i see it, using a shield while unarmed is wonky because restricting yourself to one hand is a serious detriment when fighting with your fists. Moreover, the restricted reach of bare hands or claws inhibits the usefulness of the shield. Without some kind of weapon in your hand, it's that much harder to reach past your own shield in order to attack the enemy, and so it tends to get in your way and inhibit your offence. Though that's only really true for the larger kinds of shields. Bucklers are small enough to not get in the way, so having one would be useful in a brawl. Hell a buckler in each hand is basically like having steel boxing gloves, sure it looks silly but it's also way better than being barehanded. Similarly i expect that buckler and claw would be a pretty good combination, not as good as a buckler and a real weapon, but better than not having something to defend with.

When it comes to casters using shields, honestly the more i think about it the more sense it makes to me. Usually the casters will be behind the main line fighters, which means that they're more likely to be attacked with missiles and spells. Crystal shields offer good protection against both, and most spells don't require the use of both hands, so there's little reason why the casters wouldn't use shields, other than not wanting to carry the weight. As for the book keeping, it seems like an easy thing to read the descriptions of each spell you have, and mark off the ones that requires two hands. There, now you know which spells you can't use with your shield. Really after considering it, what really seems weird to me that casters don't use shields more frequently. Like this!

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:20 am

Lys wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:51 am
Really after considering it, what really seems weird to me that casters don't use shields more frequently.
Personally, I think a lot of it is baggage from other systems. In MANY (most) systems, magicians don't use armor, let alone shields - it is expressly stated that that is not allowed. ED makes no statement that magicians can't use armor, but no doubt, many tables have either not placed armor on their magicians as a silent preconceived notion ("my guy is a caster, guess no armor for me") or as a crippling table rule ("you're a magician, magicians don't wear armor, where have you ever seen magicians wearing armor in RPGs?!"). Shields are an extension to that, although we do have the one statement about "can only use one-handed weapons" and the resulting head-scratching of what relation that has to spellcasting, if any. The ED artwork doesn't help there, either - it definitely backs up the idea of magicians in flowing robes, fapping their hands about, REGARDLESS of whether armor & shield is a perfectly viable design space for magicians in the universe.

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:32 am

Any systems bar shields from casters because they limit the gestures you can do while holding one.
I can only really name one system which says arm movements are not required and that's Shadowrun.
Here in ED none of spells descriptions I remember details movements which could not be done with a shield, let alone armor. So in ED I believe full plate donning, body shield dragging casters are possible, since only strength is a problem.