Horror Plane?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bonhumm
Re: Horror Plane?

Post by Bonhumm » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:06 pm

Altanius wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:09 pm
It specifically calls out the name of the Horror being required. It never asks for the name of the plane in that or any other summoning spell I can find. Generally it's only the name of the entity you want to summon that's needed.
Yeah, basically you just need the name to summon. Magic will then take the name and and query the Top Level Netherworlds Servers (they are run by TCANP: Theran Corporation for Assigned Names and Patterns) for the actual physical location of the Horror and then establish a connection.

Due to the way Astral Space works, all magicians are told to never attempt to cast several spells at the same time (known as Multicast) as this can overwhelm Astral Space and result into a Broadcast storm (also known as a 'Scourge') that can have lasting repercussions on the ability of Astral Space to serve as a conduit to magic.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:25 am

Altanius wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:09 pm
From ED Player's Guide 3rd ED. (Emphasis Mine)

Horror's Call

This dangerous spell summons a Horror from astral space. The
magician must learn the Name of the Horror he wishes to
call, then carefully inscribes a 4-yard (2-hex) radius circle, painting
it white and gold.

It specifically calls out the name of the Horror being required. It never asks for the name of the plane in that or any other summoning spell I can find. Generally it's only the name of the entity you want to summon that's needed.
Seems he just summons the Horror from the "standard" astral space. Not from any netherworld. So no name needed here :D
Last edited by Belenus on Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

libertydawn

Post by libertydawn » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:53 pm

He was not wanting it for the summoning spell. He would not go into detail about why he wanted the name so I assume it ties into the plot of the campaign somehow. Regardless, it seems like either the name does not exist or no one on here knows it so I will let him know. Thanks!