Introduction to 4th ed Earthdawn--time pressing

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Aristin76
Introduction to 4th ed Earthdawn--time pressing

Post by Aristin76 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:04 pm

So, I have a group of players wanting to check out Earthdawn for the first time. It's been a while since I have played Earthdawn, but I am liking where things are moving 3rd and 4th ed. I am short on time, but I want to do this introduction right.

Any recommendations of adventures to run?? I am thinking a premade adventure to help keep the flavor of the game as true as possible without my twists to the game. I typically run my own, but with time constraints, I am leaning heavily towards the premade adventure option.

Any suggestions will be welcomed, and thanks in advance.

PS- I met Mr. Harrison at GenCon. A great experience it was to meet him. I had to restrain myself from "Geeking out" on him. Enthusiasm was abound.

Be safe***

Mataxes

Re: Introduction to 4th ed Earthdawn--time pressing

Post by Mataxes » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:28 pm

My recommendations:

Grab the ED4 Quick-Start (the PDF is free from our site or DriveThruRPG). In addition to a basic overview of the mechanics, it has some pre-generated characters and a fairly simple adventure ("Masks of Fear") that loosely connects with the Legends of Barsaive adventure series.

Alternately, check out the "Legends" adventures. Each is a self-contained low-Circle adventure that shares a setting (Haven and environs) and NPCs. Five have been released so far, with more on the way.

I recommend these not only to plug our most recent products (though I am doing that :D ), but because if you're going to be playing the latest edition, it'll be easier to run adventures designed for that system, rather than needing to worry about conversions or the like.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Aristin76

Post by Aristin76 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, Josh.

I am running a 4 hour slot at a local FLGS, so I will pose these options to the group to see if they are willing! I am already getting requests to play just in general.

Good Times!

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 pm

You might also take a look at this concerning Adventure Modules: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=796

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:32 am

I really recommend running the quickstart with pregens as a way to introduce everyone to the world, then let them create their own characters. I had a couple players start a game and get really into their characters but not love their disciplines.