first aid on animals as halfmagic

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
earcaraxe
first aid on animals as halfmagic

Post by earcaraxe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:19 am

some discipline's half magic allows them to use it as "first aid" on animals. How do u implement it (if at all)? Can they use their half-magic like they had physician skill? That feels a little overpowered.

Bonhumm

Re: first aid on animals as halfmagic

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:31 am

I cannot find any description of 'first aid' either.

I think that using Physician would indeed be the closest thing to first aid. I don't see how it would make them overpowered (as it would only apply to animals, not Namegivers).

'First Aid' could be toned-down from Physician by only working on injuries but not on diseases.

Panda

Post by Panda » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:15 pm

Greetings

First aid isn't full access to Physician, even for animals. It is literally first aid - doing things to keep the patient from dying. Which is most commonly stopping bleeding, splinting a broken limb, treating burns, other minor treatments, etc. - it's all about making sure things aren't getting worse. Think what paramedic performs before you see a medical practitioner. This also includes basic animal care.

There aren't many mechanics around this because Half-Magic is intended to fill out those areas, rather than act as a replacement for existing abilities. If there's a talent or skill that does it, Half-Magic might do some of it at best, but mostly to fill in the cracks of what an adept's expected competency should look like. The lists aren't exhaustive, just provide examples. If there's something that seems like a Discipline should be capable of doing and there's not already an ability which does that, get your table's consensus on the matter. If it works for you, that's all that counts.

Hopefully this was helpful.

Best regards,

Morgan

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:26 am

Just to argue for a more expansive view, while cavalrymen half-magic does just say "animal husbandry and first aid",
The beastmaster description says "caring for animals in ways beyond those described by their talents, including animal husbandry and first aid. "
I would argue that cavalrymen half magic is limited on the medical side to first aid. On the beastmaster side it includes all care, including first aid. So I would count that as "Physician for animals", assuming your beastmaster carries a physicians kit.