economics

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Mcgarnagle
Re: economics

Post by Mcgarnagle » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:26 am

Yeah, me too! Saved me a lot of time coming up with my own. The only thing I probably will add is 2 or 3 more levels between merchant and wealthy.

Galeb_G4

Post by Galeb_G4 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:38 pm

That's how you recognise great DMs and great games, they can bring out a short research-level study of household budgeting in their socio-historico-economical context so that players can go buy stuff at the blacksmith's or baker's shop :lol: this may sound ironic, but it isn't, I'm admirative!

And yes, in any case, it'd be appropriate to introduce several socioeconomic levels of tradesmen and merchants. Someone trading silks or spices in the capital city won't earn the same as some shoemaker in a quiet town, some will eat bread and chicken stock while some will eat lamb and drink fine wines, some will buy villas like these in France (or at least, the historical equivalent) while some will live with their 4 kids in 40 square meters, some will wear burlap and some will wear mink... And these will all be tradesmen and merchants.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:59 pm

Well, the names are meant to be suggestive, not proscriptive. You can have the job of 'merchant' but live a Working Class or Royal lifestyle. That said, it is posted here for your use. Enjoy and modify to your heart's content!

Scherme

Post by Scherme » Wed May 22, 2019 2:04 pm

Brilliant, TY
In a perpetual state of lore overload.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed May 22, 2019 3:19 pm

It’s great that this is connecting for people! Shameless plug: I’ve also contributed some to socio-economic stuff in the upcoming 1879 companion. It is also CoreStep, so you may find some good stuff for you Earthdawn game.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed May 27, 2020 6:19 pm

quillius

Post by quillius » Wed May 27, 2020 8:21 pm

Thanks for updating -- this is great, and I really like the encumbrance simplification.

Question -- do you have some examples of the "Magical Equipment"? Are these just fun flavor-additions to equipment, or do you have something my systematic?

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu May 28, 2020 12:10 am

Flavor - that's things like dwarf winternight cloaks and decanters that pour wine like a fountain for your guests as soon as they are seated.

Joseph Y

Post by Joseph Y » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:35 am

Galeb_G4 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:38 pm
That's how you recognise great DMs and great games, they can bring out a short research-level study of household budgeting in their socio-historico-economical context so that players can go buy stuff at the blacksmith's or baker's shop :lol: this may sound ironic, but it isn't, I'm admirative!

And yes, in any case, it'd be appropriate to introduce several socioeconomic levels of tradesmen and merchants. Someone trading silks or spices in the capital city won't earn the same as some shoemaker in a quiet town, some will eat bread and chicken stock while some will eat lamb and drink fine wines, some will buy villas like these (or at least, the historical equivalent) while some will live with their 4 kids in 40 square meters, some will wear burlap and some will wear mink... And these will all be tradesmen and merchants.
The idea about introducing several socioeconomic levels is gorgeous in my opinion. It really makes sense! 8-)
Hello everyone :)