Spell Acquisition

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Kosmit
Re: Spell Acquisition

Post by Kosmit » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:15 am

The Undying wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:56 am
As to the comment about combat maneuvers, you are correct, this is not a combat maneuver, it is comparable to combat maneuvers. The fact that close/ranged combat got maneuvers and spell combat got ... nothing ... is a crying shame to me. It's about time they got some maneuvers.
We have to wait for this magic sourcebook I suppose ;)

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:20 am

Kosmit wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:15 am
We have to wait for this magic sourcebook I suppose ;)
I don't think most of the people discussing this are really willing to wait the 2+ years before we see that :D

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:54 pm

The Undying wrote:
Casting Bone Pudding in a single round using the two success idea would either require 6 successes in a Standard Matrix of 5 success in an Enhanced Matrix. I think someone who can get 5+ success on a roll should be rewarded. Bear in mind that, with a Weaving Difficulty of 11, we're talking about a result of 31 on a roll, which would be pretty impressive, even for a Circle 15 Adept (PER 8, Rank 15 Threadweaving, Karma Step 5 = Step 28).
This also highlights my point about making an important decision.

With the 2 Extra Successes after the base 4 Threads are woven, the Nethermancer could choose 2 Extra Threads to make the spell more powerful next round (for example: adding 2 wounds), or cast it at base effect right now.

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:00 am

The Undying wrote:
Casting Bone Pudding in a single round using the two success idea would either require 6 successes in a Standard Matrix of 5 success in an Enhanced Matrix. I think someone who can get 5+ success on a roll should be rewarded. Bear in mind that, with a Weaving Difficulty of 11, we're talking about a result of 31 on a roll, which would be pretty impressive, even for a Circle 15 Adept (PER 8, Rank 15 Threadweaving, Karma Step 5 = Step 28).
Karma Step doesn't add to overall Step.

Also my Nethermancer usually scores results around 30 with TW Step 18 + Karma, and more than 30 with Spellcasting Step 22 (PER 9, Spellcasting 7, 5 group pattern, 2 thread item).

7th Circle Nethermancer.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:25 am

Kosmit wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:00 am
Karma Step doesn't add to overall Step.

Also my Nethermancer usually scores results around 30 with TW Step 18 + Karma, and more than 30 with Spellcasting Step 22 (PER 9, Spellcasting 7, 5 group pattern, 2 thread item).

7th Circle Nethermancer.
That first note is really splitting hairs. You are technically correct, it doesn't add to Step, and technically, it does average SLIGHTLY higher than an average of 4. However, maybe it's just me, but it is faster if someone tells me "Step 20" when comparing it to a difficulty 20 than "Step 16 plus Karma."

As to your second note, the only way I can respond to that is you are either a statistical anomaly or your dice aren't properly weighted. The Step dice statistically achieve near their Step number more often than not and produce less outlying values statistically than other dice pool options. For you to "usually" score ~50% over the Step number, I'd venture to say you've got some misweighted dice.

[random bonus note: "misweighted" is not "loaded." Loaded dice are intentionally crafted to give desirably rolls. Misweighted dies have unintended imperfections that create an unnatural preference for the die. Finding one that prefers to land high value up is considered "lucky," not cheating.]

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:35 am

It's also possible (and more likely) that fallible, selective, human memory recalls all those high rolls, but doesn't have a real sense of the overall results and probability distribution.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:02 am

Mataxes wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:35 am
It's also possible (and more likely) that fallible, selective, human memory recalls all those high rolls, but doesn't have a real sense of the overall results and probability distribution.
Totally agree. Explosive abnormally high results and pathetic results when you really need the ability tend to be the things that stick in our heads. Remember that time you scored a 48 on Melee Weapons with Step 15? DEFINITELY - totally need to nerf this Talent, hits are too strong! Remember that time you scored a 2 on Melee Weapons with Step 15 when your group was about to wipe? DEFINITELY - totally need to improve this Talent, it really needs to land! Now, remember the other 85% percent of the time when you score 13-18 with Step 15 and scored an average hit with average damage demonstrating that things are currently well balanced? ... ... ... I don't think that happened!! :D