Maximum Karma Question

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
wbush3
Maximum Karma Question

Post by wbush3 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:47 pm

While looking over the rules and refreshing my knowledge in preparation for a Session Zero, I found something in character creation that made me wonder.

When you have unused attribute points, they are converted to Maximum Karma for the PC. The Maximum Karma formula is the character's Karma Modifier for the race being played, multiplied by the circle of the PC. Unused attribute points are added to this total. So my question is which formula below would be the correct one, or at least the intended one?

1) (Karma Modifier x Circle) + unused attribute points
2) Karma Modifier + unused attribute points x Circle

Option 2 would allow for a higher Maximum Karma as the PC rises in Circle, than option 2.

Thank you.

Panda

Re: Maximum Karma Question

Post by Panda » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:26 pm

It's the former; Karma from unused attribute points is unaffected by Circle and racial modifiers.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:26 pm

I'm pretty sure it would be (Karma Modifier x Circle) + unused attribute points.

I think this mechanic is intended to provide some consolation if you end up with unspent point at creation, NOT to trade Attributes at creation for a force multiplier later in the game.

wbush3

Post by wbush3 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:33 pm

Thank you to the both of you. That is what I expected, but I wanted confirmation.