[Ed4] Spell Matrix Item cost

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Tattered Rags
Re: [Ed4] Spell Matrix Item cost

Post by Tattered Rags » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:20 pm

Also remember that, while anyone can use certain magical items and blood charms, only Adepts have threadweaving, so the potential market for thread items drops dramatically.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Loba

Re: [Ed4] Spell Matrix Item cost

Post by Loba » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:11 pm

Mataxes wrote:Prices for other thread items aren't given in the first two rulebooks at all, so it's impossible to say if the prices for them changed at all.

That said, I'm not a fan of thread items (even bland Novice ones) being "for sale." I mean, it's possible, but... well...

There's actually a thread on RPGnet about this sort of thing. An Alternative to the Magic Item Shop, which approaches the idea less like a retail store and more like trading in rare and collectible commodities (fine art, etc). In that sense, prices could be anything, based on demand and interest. (Indeed, there are some interesting role playing and story hooks involved in an 'auction' of magic items.)

Agreed - people don't "buy" items. Who has the time to make some magic item for some character to buy? Maybe a Magician makes a wand or two once a year to sell to pay for something - but otherwise that Magician has much better things to do. And for the thieves and Kaer robbers - well - Sure, Xan found that Zibberwonkle, but he doesn't even know what it is. By the time Xan has spent the time to research it (if inclined) I doubt he will want to just sell it. Better to trade it to that Circle 9 Troubadour who Xan wants a favor from or gift it to Xan's disciple or toss it in Death's Sea because it is cursed.

As for Undying's desire for crafting - makes sense to me. Even then, however, it is unlikely to be for money. More likely to be for favor with a Lord or Lady or to gain that magical group's efforts in another endeavor or to trick and curse them. Ooops. I mean help them.