Campaign Development: Denairastas tricks the players

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
iduno
Re: Campaign Development: Denairastas tricks the players

Post by iduno » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:22 pm

TheQuicksilver wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:15 am
My group is going to be restarting in Earthdawn again, and I want to work up a kickass campaign for them. Challenge, they know my storytelling style now, and what I'm thinking about I'm afraid they'll smell from a while away if I cook it entirely on my own.
Re-reading this, and the second sentence here resonated with me. It sounds like you're running a shadowrun-like double/triple-cross, which warms the lump of coal in my chest. This sounds like what TatteredRags is thinking.

If you're worried about the players catching on too quickly, water down the plot points with unrelated missions, "unrelated" missions, and getting sidetracked (players or someone else get captured: rescue/escape mission). At first, something like 50% plot, 50% unrelated would work, assuming your players keep decent notes and you play regularly. Nobody who is hiring assets wants them to be able to piece everything together, and it takes a while to find out where the next piece of the puzzle is, so they'll give them other jobs to keep them busy and get their money's worth. Or there's a festival wherever they're going, and they *do* have some extra time. As things come together, everyone gets a bit desperate, and the increased urgency is mirrored by increased plot.

Also, having the Iopan agent be the lead of the conspiracy is going to work out too nicely for the players. Having them take advantage of a criminal group already operating by giving them (sometimes false) information is way more fun, and sets up an opportunity for the players to get rid of the "evil" leader, and put the Iopan agent at the head of the conspiracy while thinking they're doing the right thing.

Tattered Rags

Re: Campaign Development: Denairastas tricks the players

Post by Tattered Rags » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:12 pm

Curious, any development on this campaign?
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem