Social interactions

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bonhumm
Social interactions

Post by Bonhumm » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:54 am

New at GM'ing here and I'm having difficulties balancing social interactions in game.

My group are all new at Earthdawn but still managed to build (independently from one another) a team that is very powerful 'socially'. Stuck between stuff like Bedazzling Display of Logical Analysis, First Impression, Winning Smile and Seduction/Flirting I'm finding myself hard pressed to find ways to prevent the group from just smooth talking their way in/out of everything.

They are barely second Circle but I already had to deal with roll of 40+ at critical moments (for example they managed to get inside Hanto fully armed and armored and are dancing around Moltaa and Kwam in Infected). And that's not just the rolls, the roleplay arguments they make are solid so I cannot default them there.

I know that as a GM I can just decide that 'no', did they not convince this or that guy but this is not sustainable nor fair for the players.

I could use some suggestions (other than making all NPC 'hostile' from the beginning to prevent most talents to improve impression) on how to deal fairly with a perfect storm of 'golden tongue' players.

Thank you.

Lursi

Re: Social interactions

Post by Lursi » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:16 am

Give them enemies that truly believe in lies. Let them be fed with these lies by these people. Get them in trouble working for the wrong people.

Introduce them to one or the other mindless creature. Ever sweet talked a jelly fish or a dread iota?

If they feel lucky, let them infiltrate Iopos. That should offer some resistance.

I have waited long for my players to pick up this route once in a while and I like it when they talk their way in and out and have this tense moments when they are not sure whether their cover is blown or not.
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Slimcreeper

Re: Social interactions

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:42 pm

I am jealous. That sounds like an amazing group! Lean into it! Really study the social rules to make sure everyone is using them as written. Most talents, etc don't provide bonuses to Interaction tests. Also, improved attitude is not mind control - I love my wife, but we still fight about stuff. Give people they love and respect different motivations or come to different conclusions about the right course of action. Do your characters believe the right course of action is to confront the Legion directly? If the headwoman thinks that will lead to the destruction of her village, then she will oppose them even if she loves the party. She might, however, argue for leniency when she turns them over to Moltaa. And if someone is presented with evidence that they have been deceived or used by someone they are Awestruck by, then their attitude will drop very quickly.

As their fame spreads, people will call on them to negotiate trickier and more dangerous social situations. That means facing off against Troubadours and other strong social characters in situations where the opposition might find it more convenient to send an assassin in the night or kidnap a Loyal NPC.

Also, if you really want to really scramble that Infected adventure, have a real Horror show up and mark the girl.

Also, don't forget that Favors need to be paid back. Every large favor they accept is a plot hook!