High Circle Preview: Swordmaster

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Slimcreeper
Re: High Circle Preview: Swordmaster

Post by Slimcreeper » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:11 pm

So, on Audacious Bravado, I think it would be neat to have the player define what is at risk. "I charge into battle with complete disregard for my own life!" "I pole vault over the canal, at the risk of completely losing the cutpurse!" "I stride up to the Duchess, whose party I crashed, and beg her hand in the first dance, at the risk of arrest." Then the GM makes sure the risk is on the table. In combat, the opponents will be bolder and more dangerous, perhaps discovering they brought their forged swords today. If the pole vault fails, the ones who fail are out of the encounter, unable to climb out in enough time to aid the ones who make the jump.

The Undying

Re: High Circle Preview: Swordmaster

Post by The Undying » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:19 am

I like your approach: allow the player to describe the risk, if one isn't obvious, and then they're beholden to it. GM might have to do a little nudging if the risk isn't sufficient for the ability, but it gets the player more involved.

I'm guessing you were just trying to throw out interesting examples but keep in mind this ability is aimed for at the party than the Swordmaster. As such, the danger needs to affect everyone. "We charge into battle, the fact that we are out numbered be damned" or "we march right up to that bastard and call him out in front of everyone, potential angry mob and lost city access be damned."