Trick Riding multiple times a round

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
ender3rd
Trick Riding multiple times a round

Post by ender3rd » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Avoid Blow, Resist Taunt, and Steel Thought all have wording allowing use multiple times per round. Trick Riding does not. Given that it is "Avoid Blow only while mounted plus snazzy tricks" being able to use it only once a round seems overly limiting. Is this intentional?

ChrisDDickey

Re: Trick Riding multiple times a round

Post by ChrisDDickey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:42 am

Since nobody else is answering this, and while I can't speak to what is intentional, I will say I have always allowed the avoid blow part of it to be used exactly like Avoid Blow, including that when used as Avoid Blow it is a Free Action, not a Simple action. However when used for Snazzy Tricks, it is a simple action and none of the Avoid Blow specific text applies (ie: you can't do Trick Riding rank snazzy tricks in a single round).

But the short answer is that for avoiding blows to you or your mount, I use it exactly like Avoid Blow.

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:52 am

I do the same. When mounted, this line from Avoid Blow applies (subbing in the Trick Riding rank), "The adept can avoid a maximum number of attacks equal to his Avoid Blow rank each round, but only one attempt per Attack test."

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:07 pm

I think you pretty much have to use it as Avoid Blow, full stop. For one thing, if you were trying to use the Trick Riding text for any of the Avoid Blow stuff, you could never do it. Avoid Blow has to be a Free Action.