Spells at Warden & Master Level

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Anoush
Spells at Warden & Master Level

Post by Anoush » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:44 am

I don't see any higher circle (9+) spells in the new 4th edition Companion. Are there no published spells at that level available? What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Calamrin

Re: Spells at Warden & Master Level

Post by Calamrin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Touchy subject me thinks, as far as i can read into it was a big deal, and noone was happy they wernt in companion, but everyone wants done right, even though common view is should have been in there.

They due out in another book next year hopefully, in a book called Mystic Emporium.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:19 pm

I think the idea was to reduce complexity. Hence the number of spells is much lower but their power increases two fold with the capability of the caster.

During thread weaving a warden can achieve up to three extra threads to spells for extra power.

During Spellcasting with high talent steps, the extra successes also lift the powerlevel.

I can agree that the companion did not quite live up to my expectations regarding content. I expected something about airships/waterborne ships.

However, the design of the base game mechanics has significantly improved, the lore and secondary information is something I can look up in one of the many editions I have and make fit.
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:54 pm

Calamrin wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:05 pm
Touchy subject me thinks, as far as i can read into it was a big deal, and noone was happy they wernt in companion

Indeed.

Read this for the full drama: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=712&start=40

TheOracle

Post by TheOracle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:05 pm

I don't only miss spells at high circles. I also miss some of my old favorites. Examples: Insect repellant. Summon Skeleton. Magic duel with the undead. (I have no idea what the spell was called in the English version).

I'm also hoping for some more spells that imitate horror powers.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:07 pm

TheOracle wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:05 pm
Magic duel with the undead. (I have no idea what the spell was called in the English version).
Pretty sure you're thinking of Undead Struggle. I'm at the day gig and don't have my book handy, but I think it was included.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Anoush

Post by Anoush » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Thanks for the replies, and the link to the earlier discussion. It makes sense now.