New Earthdawn Podcast!

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
ChadLare
Re: New Earthdawn Podcast!

Post by ChadLare » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Maybe we should do an episode every once in a while where we bring everybody up to speed on our campaign. We've gotten mixed feedback about that...some want more of the campaign info and some less. So maybe having a whole episode about it would be good, and anyone who isn't interested can just skip that one.

We're planning to do an episode or two of miscellaneous topics, interviews, etc., in between each series, so a campaign update could fit in there. We probably wouldn't do the campaign episodes very often because the podcast is outpacing our gameplay (we play maybe twice per month), but it could be good for a change of pace. I'll talk to Rachel, but I think she will probably like that idea also.

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:23 pm

I am part of the "less" camp, mainly because I am new to the world.

If you should go in detail with your own experiences I strongly recommend that you do away with the withholding information and instead describe what you did with it. So instead of going "I did awesome stuff, but I can't tell you because it would spoil it for you" go "one of awesome things I did was take this location/person of importance and used it like this."

It would a more listener-friendly format in my opinion.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:44 pm

Here's my perception. Right now, it seems like you're trying to make your audience "Earthdawn players," and I think that's an awfully large net to cast. Whether you break your podcast into segments (single show, each episode covers 4 topics, each topic has a bookmark so people can skip around), episodic/series content (single show, each episode has a focus that is describing succinctly up front, people can listen or skip as desired), or multiple shows (here's our series where we do interviews; separately, here's our series where we talk mechanics; separately, here's our series where we just straight record our play session and at the end of it we go back and do an out-of-character synopsis and talk about the larger picture), I think it'd really help. Just my thoughts.

etherial

Post by etherial » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:22 am

The Undying wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:44 pm
Here's my perception. Right now, it seems like you're trying to make your audience "Earthdawn players," and I think that's an awfully large net to cast. Whether you break your podcast into segments (single show, each episode covers 4 topics, each topic has a bookmark so people can skip around), episodic/series content (single show, each episode has a focus that is describing succinctly up front, people can listen or skip as desired), or multiple shows (here's our series where we do interviews; separately, here's our series where we talk mechanics; separately, here's our series where we just straight record our play session and at the end of it we go back and do an out-of-character synopsis and talk about the larger picture), I think it'd really help. Just my thoughts.
Well, "Earthdawn Players" is a vanishingly small demographic in the grand scheme of things, but I think what you may be driving at is that it would be helpful if many, if not most, episodes were tailored for a specific subset of Earthdawn Players so that non-die-hard fans (of the game, of the podcast, or both) can pick and choose more effectively and get more for their listening dollar.

ChadLare

Post by ChadLare » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:59 pm

There are a lot of good suggestions here, and we'll be giving some more thought to all of this.

I'm a little wary of doing a lot of actual play stuff. My main concern is that I think we would need to do a certain amount of it for it to be worthwhile. Doing the weekly podcast is already putting a strain on my limited free time, so whatever amount of time I put into doing actual play episodes would slow down the source material shows by that same amount. Actual play could be fun, but I think talking about source material is applicable to more people.

I think for now we'll focus on trying to get better at what we're already doing by being more organized in our presentation of source material (including adding some bookmarks during editing). Maybe at some point we'll branch out a little more, but we'll kind of have to see how it goes.

RPG Squad is currently doing actual play of Earthdawn on YouTube (we interviewed them on our podcast), so please support them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uwpLay ... qKHMejwh3t

They have offered to let me sit in on some of their games as a player. I'm hoping to take them up on that at some point, but right now my schedule is just too tight.

Another possibility is if someone here wants to start an actual play podcast, I would be willing to help get it going. I wouldn't have time to GM it or do any editing, but I could assist with recommending audio software and equipment, and with setting up a basic Wordpress site and RSS feed. It's not terribly complicated stuff, but it can be a little overwhelming if you're never done it before.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:56 pm

Speaking of actual play podcasts...

I know of one that is coming up in the near future done by folks who do some of the Shadowrun podcasts (including at least one actual play). When I have more details, I will share. (They've been making characters, and the first recording session, IIRC, is this Monday).
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:54 am

Man, I'm so glad to see Earthdawn spreading out in the social media sphere. :D

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:03 am

I wish I could convince my gaming group to record our sessions. I know for a fact they'd never go for it. I got a pass (somewhat begrudgingly) to post our adventure journals, but I think a podcast of the game would just be out of the realm of acceptance.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:50 pm

It looks like an in-person game is not actually going to be an option for me right now, so I'm looking at running something on Roll20 and I would totally do a podcast of it and would want some advice. Should it come to pass I will definitely be talking to you.

ChadLare

Post by ChadLare » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:29 pm

I would be very interested in listening to some actual play podcasts. I'm glad to hear that there are some in the works. I'll definitely do whatever I can to support and promote them.

By the way, we just got to do a guest appearance on the Arcology podcast: http://arcologypodcast.com/episode-103- ... -barsaive/

Also, we just posted an interview with Josh Harrison: https://lavamonkeygames.com/live-from-b ... episode-9/